1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Tecra A1 CMOS battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mbguy, Aug 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mbguy

mbguy Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop that still works. It needs a new CMOS battery. In the machine is a dual 1.5volt battery which are connected together. Would it work to replace it with a regular 3v laptop battery instead or does it have to be two separate 1.5 volt.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. mbguy

mbguy Thread Starter

Thank you. I totally understand what you're saying. But how then does the CR2032 work in a laptop to keep the time if it not a rechargeable battery. What would happen if I tried a 2032 battery in that Tecra laptop?

4. Macboatmaster

If you are so desperate to try one , try it
    If of course I am correct and the circuit delvers a charging voltage to the battery it will explode

40mAh for the Tecra means it delivers 40 milli amps for one hour

The average CR2032 is 220 mAh

5. mbguy

mbguy Thread Starter

I was just asking, thanks for the info.

6. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Do not risk it is my advice
    I presumed, obviously incorrectly, that you would know that you can not subject a non chargeable battery to a charging current
    I apologise for presuming you knew

The battery is only in use on the CMOS RTC when the computer is not connected to power or in the case of a laptop not turned on
    Maybe on a laptop the CMOS battery is only drawing power and not charging when turned off and not connected to AC Power
    The extremely small current demand from the CMOS RTC will run for years on 220MAh

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice