1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba USB Mouse Erratic Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MAWallace, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MAWallace

MAWallace Thread Starter

I've been using Toshiba Techra M2V XP SP2 Laptop for over a year with a USB Toshiba Optical Mouse without problems. Early on in I turned off the mousepad because it would either sense my movements over the keyboard or something and jump lines while I was typing text.

Just lately, I've had a problem similar to Messa who posted in October about her Toshiba mouse acting erratically with a different computer. Mine would work fine for a couple of hours and then suddently stop working. I'd pull it out of the USB port and plug it back in and it'd work for a short time and stop again. I'd pull it out and if it didn't work when I put it back in, I'd switch to another USB port and it would work for a while.

I turned my mousepad back on so I'd have it as a backup when the mouse would fail again. USB device not recognized and similar messages would come on.

I'm suspicious that some conflict suddenly occurred. Only two things I think might have changed some registry setting (if this is what would create a conflict). I do not edit the registry unless a small specific change is clearly given me by some technician or support document.

One recent action is that I downloaded a printer program SysExporter v1.2 that would capture text from my Garmin GPS watch when the usual print command wouldn't work on some websites. Microsoft had a support paper Q272623 on adding print directory feature and another related paper that told about changes to the registry in certain instances and what to do so I did it.

The second is that I wanted to download info from my Garmin GPS watch to my XP laptop instead of my Win98 desktop, but the device had a serial port so I used a serial to USB adaptor and used in in a second USB port on the laptop.

At no time did I plug the serial to USB adaptor into my mouse USB port. I also have used my digital multi-card reader in the second USB port. Currently no devices are in the second USB port. Both ports seem to work fine with other devices, although I reserve the first one for the mouse.

Any clues? The device was working fine for a year - and is now as I write this until something happens and it stops.

2. qldit

qldit

G'day MAwallace, try another mouse, it sounds like yours might have a problem, it is probably best that you don't try yours in another machine. You may well have developed an internal circuit problem in the mouse.
    Cheers, qldit.

3. MAWallace

MAWallace Thread Starter

Thank you, Qldit. Sound advice to keep things in perspective. I had forgotten how cheap the Toshiba mouse was. Not worth time and frustration when a different one can be bought and tried.

4. qldit

qldit

G'day MAWallace, my pleasure old chap, this reasoning is based on the possibility that a semiconductor in the mouse circuitry is failing, possibly a type of thermal run-away in a chip inside the mouse. This would explain the time delay.
    There is a possibility this may also damage the USB interface circuitry in the machine, that is the reason to keep it simple and isolated to one machine. Keyboards can do odd things like this also. If you conclusively prove this to be the problem ensure the thing is disabled to avoid further traps downstream. The technical designation NFG suitably marked on the thing helps.
    My guesses are more often wrong than right, but these kinds of things can be so damned complicated that often the simple things are missed, especially with intermittent kinds of problems.
    Cheers qldit.

5. Noizboi

Noizboi

Hi Guys,

Check this out...

Have same trouble on a Fujitu/siemens Amilo 1430.

Same symptoms, AND have just bought new printer...

See where I'm heading.. Printer drivers ????

Will explore this tomorrow and will let you know results.

6. MAWallace

MAWallace Thread Starter

Noizboi,
    Problem for my Toshiba Laptop XP grows more complex. I bought a new Logitech G6 Corded Mouse to replace the Toshiba optical mouse. Logitech G6 is working fine without having installed installation diskette - BUT - my Toshiba Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S (see my 20-Mar-2005 post under Hardware for Matshita) doesn't read the Logitech Mouse Installation CD-Rom yet my other Dell desktops Win 98 and XP can read CD. I'm under warranty and found out I could drive 100 miles to an authorized service center and not have to call Toshiba support first. I go next week and will let you know - drivers? UJ-820S DVD? cheap optical mouse that had its circuity fouled up? who knows, will let you know results.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon MAWallace, on the face of it looking at the simplest possibility the Matsushita DVD sounds like it may have a problem reading simple CD's.
    Of course if we extrapolated that to try to logically explain how the two might be associated in some way the most likely guess would be low voltage, probably the +5 volts. But that is pretty hypothetical guessing.
    As a matter of interest you might try getting Everest Home and running it and seeing what the sensors page shows. It is available here
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...s_Utilities/Lavalys_EVEREST_Home_Edition.html
    It will load without invading your machine, I usually stick it in a folder on the desktop then open it from there.
    It gives a lot of information.
    The sensors page is the main interest, hopefully there will be temperatures and voltages mentioned there. It is a good guide.
    Isn't it amazing the more expensive the component is, the less likely it will work properly!
    Cheers, qldit.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice