1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Vista laptop won’t boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jpcmn, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpcmn

jpcmn Thread Starter

I hope this isn't too long.
    My Toshiba laptop was working fine. Our internet provider is Comcast. Comcast has replace McAfee antivirus with Norton’s, and I was trying to migrate from McAfee to Norton according to Comcast’s instructions. Now the laptop will not boot. This is what I get:

• Power on.
    • Toshiba splash screen
    • “Windows is loading files”
    • Microsoft Corp progress bar
    • Startup Repair window
    • “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.”
    This gives two options:

“view diagnostic and repair details” This shows Number of attempts: 19, and all tests completed successfully.

“Advanced Recovery Options” This shows:
    Startup Repair. Which always fails.
    System Restore. This fails because no restore points have been created.
    Windows Complete PC Restore. This fails because I don’t have a backup image.
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. This found no memory errors.
    Command Prompt. This gives me a DOS window, but I don’t know what to do with it.
    Toshiba Recovery Wizard. This will reformat C: so I have not done this.

I also found this under View Problem Details:
    Problem Signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartUpRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: autofallover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 6
    Problem Signature 04: 1245203
    Problem Signature 05: CorruptRegistry
    Problem Signature 06: CorruptRegistry
    Problem Signature 07: 1016
    Problem Signature 08: 3
    Problem Signature 09: RollbackRegistry
    Problem Signature 10: 0
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    LocaleID: 1033

I created a Vista Recovery Disk by downloading the ISO image from Neosmart.net, but when I try booting from it I get this message:
    “This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows.”

I have booted into Safe Mode, but this also goes to the Startup Repair.

Any ideas?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

the easiest way would be to use the recovery wizzard but you loose your data unless you have backed it up to say d drive
    by the time you may manage to fix this it would be quicker to reinstall anyhow and nice freah system then, re the recovery wizzard, i assume you do have discs? or an image on HD from toshiba when it was first bought?

3. daz1

daz1 Banned

the disc should work unless you got 64 bit or 32bit mixed up but your code for comp is not coming up in toshiba so i assume typo

4. jpcmn

jpcmn Thread Starter

Full disclosure: this is actually my daughter’s laptop, not mine.

After I posted, I downloaded the 64-bit Vista Recovery Disk from Neosmart. It boots ok, but just goes to either Install Vista (which will require installation disks) or the Startup Repair window, except it doesn’t have the Toshiba Recovery Wizard option.

As for re-installing, I do not have any disks. It was purchased at Costco, and it came with nothing. In other posts there was a suggestion to try getting to a recovery partition by pressing various function keys, but I tried all of them and the only options were Setup, or Boot Manager.

Help!

5. jpcmn

jpcmn Thread Starter

On a Toshiba forums website, I saw a suggestion for getting to the Recovery Partition, namely, hold down the zero key while powering up. I tried this, but I arrived at a black screen with a non-blinking cursor, and every key beeped. So I powered it off and rebooted with the 64bit Vista Recovery Disk, and when I got to the Install or Repair screen, I tried to install. I entered the Product Key (it's on the bottom of the laptop), but I got a message saying "Can't find E:\Sources\Install.wim". I looked at the disk on a different computer, and there is a file \Sources\boot.wim, but no Install.wim.

I'm starting to feel desperate.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice