Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiba's "Recovery Environment" -- What was the idea behind this disk?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6094 here for which I have just made the system recovery disks. There are three system recovery disks and an additional disk called "Recovery Environment". This "Recovery Environment" is not included if you buy the system recovery DVDs from Toshiba and my little bit of Googling seems to take me to no explanation as to what the idea is behind this disk.

I suspect it is superfluous; but, what was the idea behind including it in the system recovery set in the first place?

#3 ·
It is most likely the standard recovery disk for the OS, the exact same one that would be created by Start > Run: recdisc.exe. Since using those on systems that have a recovery partition on the hard drive can result in removing access to that partition and due to the possibility of making other changes that would be fine on an installed OS that had not been set up in a proprietary way, but lead to damage to a special setup, those particular disks may actually, really be worse than nothing. It is THE generic recovery disk.

In the absence of any alternative, they may be useful to attempt recovery from a recovery partition that is not accessible the normal way, but even running Startup Repair from those disks can cause damage since they are not meant to repair hidden, normally invisible, EISA boot partitions and their structures as are found on many machines. If you have a known good way of recovering, you may want to make sure that the "wrong" people don't even have access to that disk.

Toshiba's recovery disks have been useful to me before because they allow the installing and uninstalling of individual programs and components from the disks. But making an image of the fresh installation and merging the recovery partition with the main drive is still my preferred M.O. That is really all the "recovery" media you need except for prep when selling it (which can also be done from an image made immediately after purchase).

#5 ·
I think you will find that the recovery discs you created allow you to recover from the partition on the hard drive - if the use of that partition cannot be accessed either via windows or on an Fkey or indeed to another drive if necessary

Whereas the recovery discs from Toshiba simply reinstall the Operating system from scratch so to speak.

As indeed my good colleague Elvandil said
In the absence of any alternative, they may be useful to attempt recovery from a recovery partition that is not accessible the normal way,
The full guide is on page 62 and the cross references of this link
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/con...es/su2728212/GMAD00247011_SatA660_10Oct28.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.