1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toss my monitor, or is it savable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xander, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

I have a Compaq V90...it's either a 19 or 20 inch, I can't recall. Anyhow, bought it used, and since day one, it would flicker every so often. Guaranteed to do it if I accidentally kicked the cable running from the monitor to the computer while shuffling my feet under the desk.

About 2 weeks ago, it was working just fine, then I I rebooted after a large download...and then nothing. Black screen. Instead of the green light on the front of the monitor, it's perpetually orange. Jiggling the cable does nothing. Hooked it up to our second computer, no dice. It has a base with 2 USB ports on it(one thin and flat like on a computer tower, one half sphered like on my cable modem), but I don't have a spare cable, and didn't want to go buy one only to find out I wasted the money for nothing, so I haven't tried that yet. Plus, I'm not even sure they're for hooking the monitor up to my computer via USB

It's got a huge cathode tube in it, obviously. When I turn it on, I can hear that part of it fire up(it's quite loud), but nothing ever shows on the screen, the light is eternally orange, and I am stuck suffering with a 15 inch monitor :p

It should also be noted that last week my video card blew up after I overheated it, and I think took my motherboard with it... after that, I'd turn on the computer, and the ventilation and CPU fans would spin, but that was it. No vid card fan, no "clicking" from the hard drive, nada. I just got it back from repairs this morning(am having game play issues now, so I'm guessing my RAM stick is bad, as well, just wasn't fixed). I don't know if there's any correlation between the two incidents.

What would your guys' diagnosis on this be? Just a cabling issue, to where I can crack it open, maybe replace the cable or something, and life will be good? Or did I blow 125 bucks for 2 months of usage of this thing, and I need to toss it in the trash? If I were wealthier, the choice would be obvious, but alas....It's an old monitor, I'm thinking...the serial sticker says something about 1995...

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

To be sure that the monitor is defective is to hook it up to another system that working. If the monitor still doesnt work something inside the monitor went south. I couldnt tell you what it could be since there's too many things that it could be.

FYI: You have been warned. Monitors should only be serviced by authorized technician. The CRT stores thousands of volts inside the tube when not in use. Without knowing how to work on monitors or properly discharging the cathode ray tube. You risk your chances on taking a trip to the hospital.

If it was built back in 95 and its going on 8 years. I think you sure got your money's worth out of that monitor. Having the monitor repaired is crazy. You will spend just as much as buying a new monitor. Plus the new monitor comes with a 3yr warranty instead of 90 days or less. I know money is tight for most people, but prices on 19 inches have come down to less than $200.

You can check out monitor prices on www.pricewatch.com

I hope this helps....
    If you need another confirmation before making a purchase. Hopefully someone else will post here.....

Best of luck
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

4. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Well, it's not quite the same problem, but suffice to say, I had a really bad week with computers. The monitor blew up about a week before my computer did. I bought both of them in early July.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you try the monitor on another system and it still fails, I'd consider replacement. You can get a new 19" monitor on a rebate deal for $119-129 if you look around. It'll cost more just to repair that one, and you'll still have an older monitor that may fail in a new way.

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

And vice-versa...,if the 15" works on that system,but the 20" won't wake up...,it has probably gone to sleep for good.
    From what you described,it was having a connection issue before any of the total failures happened (bumping the cable causing a jump in signal).I would check to make sure that all the pins in the connector are straight,none broken off,or bent down.I would also try moving the cable around while it is connected,up,down all around.But even if you get it to wake up from moving the cable,it is pretty much not worth repairing,the cost would be prohibative.

Start saving your pennies for a new monitor...,or at least a good reconditioned unit that has a fair warrantee.

L8R,
    GwizJoe

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice