Totally confused about RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sharbear36

I'm desperately trying to get a program to run for a surprise. The system requirements say I should have at least 128 ram. The computer says I have 130,524 Ram now. Another tech person said they don't know why it came through that way but it should be about the same. Anyway, it's not working and I was told to get more Ram so I started shopping around. Well, I called CompUsa in my area and they told me that I would have to buy 2 because this is something that comes in pairs. (saying I would have to buy 2 128's) Well I called Best Buy to get a price from them and they say that they are sold individually and I just need to buy 1. Who did I think of when I needed to know the "real truth"? My best support team out there, Tech Guys. So which is it, can I buy one or do I have to buy 2. The wierd thing is, the price for both was really close. CompUsa was charging me $60/each and Best Buy was charging $120.00 for one. Wierd!

Shari

pugmug

Banned
What computer,motherboard do you have and be as exact as possible.

crjdriver

Well, it depends. Some systems need ram in pairs and some can be added individually. Post your exact system specs ie make and model of computer or if it is a custom build the make and model of mb.

sharbear36

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I didn't add that. I have a Sony Vaio rx463ds. Where do I find the motherboard information?

Shari

sharbear36

Thank you so much, the guy at Best Buy must have been confused although I did ask him about rd ram because that is what I pulled up with the searches I was doing last night. So one last question then, the charge on that site says $137 for 256mb. Thats total or I pay that twice, I'm so confused because over the phone here they were giving me the total for one and telling me to double it. CompUsa said $60./each, I'm assuming that's a good price then?

Thanks for all the help
Shari

You have Rambus RAM, which in almost all cases must be installed in pairs (the one exception being i820 motherboards).

FYI, 128MB equals 131072KB, that's where your two different numbers come from.

pugmug

Banned
$137 total for the pair.Not going to tell you who to buy from but google it and you can find it even cheaper.Have a nice day.

Howdy folks...

sharbear36...

It appears that you are at the minimum requirements for the program...

Perhaps before you go out and buy new memory, you could tell us what problems you are having with the program...

Also include the Operating System it's being ran/installed on...

You may not need to buy new memory...

sharbear36

Hi, I didn't know that you responded again. I'm out on my mission today to try and get more memory, I'm just lost. I found the cheapest to be at datamemory's website for $98.00. A friend was telling me that there is something that you can add to you computer that is universal. You just plug it in to something, don't remember what he said. Is this true? I just need a quick fix because I'm trying to make a slideshow for my parents 25th wedding anniversary party.

I'm running Win 2000 and the program is just very slow and when I try to look at the slideshow, thusfar, it takes forever to load and doesn't show right.

Any suggestions?

Shari

pugmug

Banned
I am not sure what your friend is talking about.If you found 256mb ram for $98.00 then go with that if you chose.

sharbear36

I guess my friend was talking about memory storage so that is out of it. Actually, went to MilwaukeePC and they were going to charge me $101.00/each for the ram. They told me that its fading out and is going to be very hard to get. He told me to take the $200. and invest it in a new computer. I would hate to have to get rid of this one since it really has been good to me and I haven't had any other problems other than trying to run that stupid program....lol.

I guess Jedi Master thought there might be something else I could try. I am pretty much willing for anything at this point.

Shari

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!