1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Totally illiterate...but I am cute!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaimep, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

OK, so yeah, I was working on an old HP, it had aol for years, it was 7 years old, still dial up...yeah...time to get a new one!

So I did! I thought it would be the end of my problems, but OH NO, of course not.

So three days ago, I got a new gateway 505GR, awesome cpu, actually probably TOO awesome, since I don't game, and I just like to surf, watch movies, and listen to the radio. The monitor is an upgrade...TFT-LCD Flat Panel, FPD 1750. I thought I was going to have an awesome picture quality, but there seems to be a lot of pixelation, some graphics on websites won't load, basically everything looks smudgy. Very technical word, I know. :)

I tried updating my graphics driver, I tried changing the resolution (they recommend 1240 by 1086) but since I am illiterate, I am afraid to do too much. Also, I am still on dial up since my DSL has not come yet, and I have a free month of Juno. Could the internet provider be the problem? The bad pictures and graphics and texts only show up bad and smudgy when I am on the Web...

Any help would be awesome, I appreciate it, and thanks for the site!

2. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Yea its the web accelerator
    I think juno offers it. including earthlink, aol, and so on.
    They make it look like your connection is "faster" but its not.
    They compress the pictures making them a lower quality which in then makes it easeier for your dial up to DL them. Making it look like your connectino is faster.
    I am not too familar with Junos software. But somewhere on the bottom of the screen , or for that matter if its juno its probley all over your screen. Look for the logo, right cilck on it and look for accelerator- Look around for it. and there is a way you can change the accerlator to Low or high.
    Just mess around with settings. But i am pretty sure thats your problem. Hope that helps

3. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

and in a month when juno expires, and your DSL isnt there yet. Get PeoplePC. Try them for a month.

BTW i think its called SPeed Band. The accelerator on Juno
    Right click it on the task bar next to your computer clock.
    when you right click on it, goto Turn Speed Band off
    OR
    1. Right-click on the Juno SpeedBand speedometer icon in the system tray at the lower right of your screen (or click on the word SpeedBand on the Juno SpeedBand toolbar) and select Settings.
    2. Adjust the slider on the Settings screen. The further the slider is to the left, the better the image quality. The further the slider is to the right, the faster pages load.

It also has a pop up blocker too. So some pages might not pop up like yahoo games and lots of other stuff. GOtta tinker with the pop up filter. You can access that thru the same way you found the SpeedBand.

It will be the same thing when you get your dsl, Im assuming your getting Yahoo DSL. Their web brower will come with a pop up blocker.

4. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

I will have my boyfriend try that, he is already at home, i am still slaving away at work. I'll let you know! Thanks again!

Jaime

5. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

ok, here is another question...my manual for the monitor gives me a preferred video resolution...1280 by 1024 (yeah, wrong #s before, sorry about that) with a 450:1 ratio. as for all other settings, what is best? and what is the difference between a video resolution and anything else? is there? should i be at 1280 by 1024 in one place and 600 by 800 in another? thanks!

Jaime

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Theres basically two resolutions you use.

One for the Windows desktop and all programs run on it.

One for games. Each game has different resolution settings, the computer will automatically change the resolution on the monitor for the game and change it back to the regular one for windows when you exit the game.

For example, my desktop is at 1152x864, but when I play UT2k4 my monitor switches to 1024x768 and then back to 1152x864 when I get back to desktop

7. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Just tinker around with it. I dont think its your res. Its the accerlertator. I am pretty sure on that.
    Are you getting Yahoo DSL?
    when you get DSL make sure you get a good virus scanner
    Get an internet suite (FIrewall, Personal infomation secuirty, Virus scanner and email spam guard)
    Mcafree sells somthing like that. I have 2004 version. They just came out with 2005.
    Its easy to use. It has pop ups that ask you. For instance
    " yahoo is trying to place a cookie do you want to accept? Yes, yes for this session only, or Deny"
    I always hit yes for session.
    Plus it has an adware scanner that scans for adware and spyware. It also runs test on your computer to see if its secure.

8. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

so, when i open the desktop, i right click on the screen, and go to properties, and then settings, and then i adjust my screen area pixels to 1280 by 1024 at 60. i have done that already. do i need to worry about doing it anywhere else? see i have a boyfriend who is more cpu illiterate than me, but he doesn't think so, he is constantly messing with things, and the only reason we even got this new one is bc he fubared the old one by installing norton and mcafee anti virus at the same time. we don't have the old windows 98 disc to reboot, so we were pretty much out of luck. should i be worried about any other settings?

9. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

i got the norton pack with the firewall and all that jazz, and i also got spysweeper. they are great bc they constantly ask you questions, and for an illiterate cpu user, it is awesome! i will be getting verizon dsl in a few weeks.

10. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

ok, called the boyfriend, he said he turned off the accelerator and rebooted, and it still looks the same. im kind of freaked out, bc it is only 3 days old.

11. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

is it still turned off? have him check it again

12. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

You said it only does this when hes surfing the net right?
    tell him to goto
    www.google.com
    THen do a search for
    Mozilla
    have him download
    Firefox
    install it
    then see if it works
    Let me know i'll be here

13. jaimep

jaimep Thread Starter

Well, I want to thank you for all of your help. Basically, I left work yesterday, and seeing how the CPU was only 3 days old, I brought it back to Best Buy and demanded a full refund, esp. after checking out Gateway's website to find out that THEY DO NOT EVEN SELL THE 505GR, IT IS OLNLY AVAILABLE AT OTHER VENDORS! So I dropped that like a bad habit. So...I am going to start a new thread about "suggestions for Jaime's CPU needs, and what she should buy."

Thanks again!

14. winbob

winbob

Whatever the NATIVE Resolution is for the LCD Panel is for the LCD (manuf recommendation) is what you should use. You'll get the best presentation at this setting.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice