1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Touch mouse will jump occasionally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey there everyone, I have been looking at a friends laptop recently that has been having a few problems. It is a Dell vostro 1000 and it came originally with Windows XP on it. I have upgraded it to Windows 7. It started off alright but then started to get slow and I re-installed Windows 7 again. This time I have made sure that I have all the correct drivers and programs. However even after a fresh install the mouse occasionally just jumps a bit. As you move the mouse around it will freeze for half a second then jump to wherever I continued to move it to. I thought it was a RAM problem but then I changed the RAM and it is still happening. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Jack

2. kris141087

kris141087

Hi there first off is the touchpad clean? a dirty touchpad can make a pointer jump around. Does the pc meet windows 7 min requirements? a quick google of the dell vostro 1000 showed it as having 512MB which is half of what is recommend. Try turning windows aero off that may help.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

2 gig is about the min to really run win7 without problems. Laptops use some of the system ram for video ram as well and that eats into the available ram. If you have at least 2gig installed, I would check the hard drive for problems. Momentary freezing is often a hard drive issue as the system accesses the page file.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Update the motherboard drivers. Update the video card drivers (it is the video card that control the mouse on the screen).

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the quick replies :) I have changed the RAM and run windows 7 on 2Gb of RAM on my main computer and it isn't too bad at all (mainly because I keep it majorly neat and have no extra programs running) The touch pad is also clean. The idea of the hard drive not being great sounds like it could be spot on as the laptop has been damaged and knocked about a bit from what I can tell. I have a mate that has a spare SATA 2.5" drive so I think I am going to try one of those tomorrow and see how it goes :) Thanks for the input guys, Jack

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice