Touch screen is erratic. It has a mind of it's own!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ldarlene

I have not used this site in a long time. I have no idea what is causing this problem, I may be posting in the wrong forum. Please move it to where it should go if this is wrong. I have a HP with a touch screen. For the past several weeks the screen has become more and more erratic. I can be on an internet page in Chrome browser and one page after another will start opening up. I can by typing an email and the program will suddenly close. I can be reading an email and suddenly another email will open up. It does not seem to matter what I am doing, it is like an invisible mouse has taken over and can't decide what it wants the computer to do. The computer is probaby about 3 years old. It is a combo laptop/tablet with Windows 10. Windows defender was auto disabled the other day because I downloaded malwarebytes. It found pups that windows defender missed.
I am not on the compute that is causing the problems. If you need more system info I will respond to your response on the laptop. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

ldarlene

Thanks for your response. I am a little confused about exactly what you want me to do first.
Am I to repost my original post in the malware and spywar forum? I ran the program to show you my system. I am using Malwarebytes and ran it. Also downloaded and ran hitmanpro. neither of them found any malware.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200308084455.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (410 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 81A9, ver 57.53, s/n PFULB3A0G721I5
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n 8CG7153Q5Z
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Sounds like it may well be some kind of infection that Malwarebytes and HitmanPro do not detect.

ldarlene

So what should I do next. Do I copy and paste original post to the malware forum?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello! I saw your message in the Virus Forum and wanted to chime in.

Your computer is about 3 years old (according to HP, the warranty started in April 2017, ended May 2018), which I don't believe the screen would be wearing down thus far, unless you use it a lot for inputs.

Since the other forum also does not see any malware interference, I suspect one of a few things.

Hardware - the touch screen component is defective and the screen needs replacing. The other part is that the screen may just need to be cleaned to remove any excess crud that could be registering as a touch.

I was going to mention the touchpad but you mentioned you turned off the HID compliant touch screen and that seems to have solved your issue.

Software - the driver behind the touchscreen may just need to be reinstalled. Also the BIOS Firmware may not be up-to-date which could also help.

Worse case, there is some corruption with Windows and may need to be reinstalled.

Have you tried the HP SupportAssistant?

ldarlene

Thanks for your input. I wondered too if software could need updating or if it needed new drivers. Don't know much about the tech terms.
While I was trying to answer this post this page kept changing to other things. the page would scroll up or another window would open. I had to go back and turn off the touch screen again. Now I am able to type without it bouncing all over the place.
I have not tried HP support assistant.
Once iMacg3 has finished I will see where he suggests going from there. Good to get some more ideas if viruses or malware is not the problem. I really do miss the touch screen. use it all the time

ldarlene

I have not used this site in a long time. I have no idea what is causing this problem, I may be posting in the wrong forum. Please move it to where it should go if this is wrong. I have a HP with a touch screen. For the past several weeks the screen has become more and more erratic. I can be on an internet page in Chrome browser and one page after another will start opening up. I can by typing an email and the program will suddenly close. I can be reading an email and suddenly another email will open up. It does not seem to matter what I am doing, it is like an invisible mouse has taken over and can't decide what it wants the computer to do. The computer is probaby about 3 years old. It is a combo laptop/tablet with Windows 10. Windows defender was auto disabled the other day because I downloaded malwarebytes. It found pups that windows defender missed.
I am not on the compute that is causing the problems. If you need more system info I will respond to your response on the laptop. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
computer has been checked for malware

ldarlene

ran the HP support assistant. hardware diagnositics, performance issues, operating system. Plus the initial fast test. It cancelled battery test. everything else passed. Now what?

ldarlene

ran the HP support assistant. hardware diagnositics, performance issues, operating system. Plus the initial fast test. It cancelled battery test. everything else passed. Now what?
not sure if you saw a previous post in malware. I went into human interfaces and disabled the touch screen. That seems to help a lot but still some jumping around. I am very dependent on the touch screen so I have turned it back on. With touch screen turned on, when I move the mouse, no where near the search box in bottom left of screen, that pops up. Sometimes on facebook I will click on a game and multiple web pages open, often with a game I did not click on. Anything the mouse touches will open. I can be typing an email and the cursor jumps up to a line further up in email and I find myself typing there, inserting new stuff. I can be scrolling through a web page and it suddenly goes flying up.
just now, while I was proofreading this, not touching any part of the computer, the help screen kept popping up.

Wow . . .

My next step then would be to try and repair Windows 10. To do this you need to "upgrade" Windows -- I know, sounds weird --, using the same edition of Windows that's already installed. This "upgrade" requires Windows 10 installation media, which you can obtain using Microsoft's free Media Creation Tool.

Download the correct Windows 10 ISO and then double-click it to mount it as a virtual drive. (Or if you prefer, you can create a bootable USB flash drive, open that removable drive in File Explorer and double-click "Setup" to begin the process).

When it asks if you want to download updates, recommend selecting "Yes" to avoid potential problems.

When prompted what you want to keep --[Important]-- choose "Keep personal files and apps".

Now simply follow the prompts to finish setup.

After a couple restarts, you'll have a refreshed installation of Windows 10, with your programs, apps, and settings all intact.

If it is Still acting up, my next guess would be flaky hardware ... with a finger pointing at the touch screen

ldarlene

just to clarify, I am clicking on s link to install windows 10 even though windows 10 is already installed.... that is because you think it is corrupt and this will fix it? how do I know which iso I need?
"double-click it to mount it as a virtual drive. " will this auto set up?
Is it safer to make a bootable flash drive? How do I do that?

just to clarify, I am clicking on s link to install windows 10 even though windows 10 is already installed....
Yes.

that is because you think it is corrupt and this will fix it?
Sort of. If it does not solve the problem then we'll know it's probably due to flaky hardware, (not Windows).

how do I know which iso I need?
To see which version of Windows your computer is running, press [Winkey]+[Pause/Break], or right-click the Windows logo and select System.

What you are looking for is two things, "Home" or "Pro" and "32-bit" or "64-bit". To the right of "System Type" you'll see either the "32-bit" or "64-bit" "operating system", and then down a bit the "Windows Edition" will be either "Windows 10 Home" or "Windows 10 Pro".

"double-click it to mount it as a virtual drive. " will this auto set up?
Yes.

Is it safer to make a bootable flash drive?
<shrug> Six of one half a dozen of another. I suppose Not having to create a bootable flash drive is probably easier.

How do I do that?
As mentioned above, using Microsoft's free Media Creation Tool. Download it, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online