1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Touch Screen Won't Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LJFried, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

I have a 4 year old Lenovo S400 Ideapad, running Windows 8. The touchscreen feature is "intermittent." I've gone to the Troubleshoot Problems section of the Control Panel, ran the diagnostic for Hardware & Devices and get this message: "Hardware changes might not have been detected" with a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside it. If I re-boot, the touch screen then works OK.

I have not made any hardware changes so I don't know what's going on. Any ideas from the folks here? Everyone on this site who has helped me before has been great. This old guy "low tech" person really appreciates it!!

Thanks.

2. suj

suj

Hey LJFried,

I believe it's your driver. A driver is like an instruction booklet for your laptop. I've had this same problem on a different laptop, but it's the same fix. To make your fix quick here's the driver from the Lenovo Website: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...deapad-s400-touch-notebook/downloads/ds102442

Just install the driver and since it's directly from Lenovo it will auto set up, for the most part. Please do let me know how it goes.

Cheers
    -Sujat

3. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

thank you - when I clicked "download now", then tried to open the file, I got this message: "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."

What did I do wrong???

4. suj

suj

Huh, thats very wierd. Did you correctly insert your operating system(exe: Windows 7 64bit) according to the error that seems to be the problem, I attached a picture of what the top of the site looks and what you need to change. After you download the correct version of the driver just run it and if it displays a error just restart your computer. If the restart dosent set it up move on the post after this. But this should do it.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  5. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

thank you but this is all getting way too "high" tech for a guy like me. I don't see that screen shot when I clicked on the link. What is a "Search Charm?"

LF

6. suj

suj

Sorry about getting complex. Could you tell me what system you have 64bit or 32bit. If you could tell me we can cut off almost all the complexity. Once you tell me the system bit I can give you the exact link. You can find the bit in computer info.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

Is this what you mean? It says:

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-3227U CPU

System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

8. suj

suj

Perfect...I set the site to your specs and here is the 'exact' link. No need to adjust anything. Just do what you did before just with the new "correct" driver:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...deapad-s400-touch-notebook/downloads/ds102442

After you do that follow these steps(from the Lenovo website), I tried to keep it as clear as possible:
    • Step1: Plug in AC adapter(charger) and Make sure it is present during update progress.
    • Step2: Download and save the s400t_s415t_lcd_fw_fw12.7z zip file.(The driver you just installed)
    [​IMG]

• Step3: Extract compressed file and double click the eGalaxSensorTester.exe application to proceed.

[​IMG]

• Step4: Click Yes to proceed.

[​IMG]

• Step5: Click Yes to start update firmware version12.

Mark:when start update progress,please donn’t touch on the screen! And make sure connect AC adapter!(charger)

[​IMG]

• Step6: Click Yes to proceed.

[​IMG]

Let me know how everything goes
    -Sujat

9. suj

suj

Make sure the restart your computer after you are done with everything.

10. LJFried

LJFried Thread Starter

you've been VERY kind to help me but the same thing happened as before -- I clicked on "download now," the file did download but when I tried to open it I got the same error as before (see my above post "this file does not have a program associated with it...")

I don't want to keep wasting your time - you've been great. Maybe I should just learn to live with having the touch screen go on and off. I started using computers in 1986 - there were no touch screens back then!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1192133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice