1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

touch screens?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jondoe888, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jondoe888

jondoe888 Thread Starter

Not sure where to ask this, but it's Win8. by association.
    We're about to get a new desktop computer. I'll likely get Win8, even tho I won't need it for any mobile device.
    My question is touch screen. This has many applications, but on a desktop? It seems real inconvenient to reach over the keyboard and touch a vertical surface. It's a disruption to reach for the mouse! But this seems to be where computing is heading. I guess I could get used to it...
    And there aren't likely many programs written for desktop touchscreens at the moment, but there surely will be. I see little use for a touchscreen, beyond doodling, but I don't want to regret not getting one in a year or so, as more is written for them.
    Any thoughts?
    (I'm just a normal grand-fatherly user. I don't play games or do much photo editing)

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hi,
    I just bought a Laptop with Win8 but did not get the touchscreen one, too expensive and like you I have no use for it, I am an Old Mouse and keyboard person myself.
    If you do decide to specifically buy a touchscreen monitor more power to you, you will have that option to use the touchscreen also.
    But don't worry about the use of the Mouse and Keyboard going away soon, the M and K will be around for a long time....:cool:

3. saikee

saikee

Got a Dell XPS 12 convertible ultrabook last month that can do both normal keyboard/mouse and a keyless touch pad.

Touch screen is still in an early stage of development and there are areas of the normal screen/desktop with area too small to operate by a finger. May be that is the reason Windows 8 provides a dual desktop, one for normal keyboard/mouse screen and one for touch screen.

It is therefore a waste to use Windows 8 on a PC without a touch screen as one would find only inconvenience and confusion in working with two desktops.

Windows 8 is really for a tablet or a smart phone in my opinion because many swiping movements with a finger cannot and have not been implemented into the keyboard/mouse. This is based on my experience of using Windows 8 on two other desktops that have no touch screen.

4. jondoe888

jondoe888 Thread Starter

Thanks, all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!