Touchpad decides to click and drag instead of tap to click

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

supersadie

Hi
Running Win10 on an Acer E5-511-C46Y.
I have an Elantech touchpad which every so often (maybe weekly) decides it's no longer going to do tap to click (my preferred setting) and is going to behave as though I am clicking and dragging the whole time. So I have to click instead of tap. It's mighty annoying.
I have done all the obvious things - driver up to date, BIOS version is the latest, settings are fine and disabling/enabling has no impact. The only cure seems to be turning the computer off and on again (who knew?!)
Acer say reset, but suspect that's the recommendation for every unsolved issue.
Is there a way to restart touchpad and reload all the drivers (essentially, to do what the laptop would do when rebooting) but without restarting?
Many thanks in advance...

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact SNID number and serial number on that Acer Aspire E5-511 series laptop?

Type winver in the search box and then press the Enter key.
When the small window appears, advise us what the exact "Version" number and "Build" number is for Windows 10.

Have you tried using an external USB wireless mouse instead of using that problematic touchpad?

---------------------------------------------------------------

supersadie

Hi
It's 14393.447
SNID is 50200150534

No, I've not used a mouse. It's not convenient for me.
Thanks in advance!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your laptop appears to have Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" Version 1607 Build 14393.447
Windows 10 "Creator Update" Version 1703 Build 15063.250 is the most current version.

According to that SNID number, your Acer Aspire E5-511 series laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit, so I'm assuming it was later upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
It does have full driver support for both Windows 8.1 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit. (y)

The Windows 10 64-bit driver listed for its Elantech touchpad is version 13.6.2.2 and is dated December 2016, so I'm assuming it now has a more current version.

I've never been a fan of a laptop's touchpad and have always used an external USB wireless mouse because I find it quicker and easier to use and navigate with than a touchpad.
I also have never used the "tap-to-click" feature, so I don't know what affect all that finger pounding has on a touchpad's longevity.
I wish I had some easy resolution for your issue, but I don't. :oops:

--------------------------------------------------------------

supersadie

Thanks for your comments. I feel it must be a software issue. Like you, I thought the pad might have 'stuck' in a left click position somehow. But the fact it rights itself on reboot made me think not. My geek friend said he'd updated the driver, but looking online, I see there's a newer one for the touchpad, which he must have missed. I've now downloaded that, so let's hope it fixes the irritation. Thanks for suggesting it. I'll let you know how it's going!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online