Touchpad issues in elementary os juno

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LegolasDImir

Bryan
I have been trying to turn a dell latitude e6410 into an inexpensive laptop for my sister in law and have been having numerous issues. One of which that has been the most mysterious is this issue where the touchpad has been super jumpy. Quite by accident last night i discovered that it works just fine when on battery power.... After doing some research, I discovered this https://askubuntu.com/questions/309971/touchpad-doesnt-respond-when-power-is-plugged. I have tested this with another charger that is a dell brand 65 w where the regular charger i have for it is an after market 90 w charger... As far as i know, that is what this laptop needs... can anyone help me to understand how to reliably fix this problem?

managed

Allan
Genuine Dell chargers are recognised by Dell laptops and that can make a difference.

I had a similar problem where a Dell charger would charge the battery in a laptop but a non-Dell one would not.

Looking online 90w is specified for that e6410 model so you may need to get a genuine Dell 90w charger

LegolasDImir

Bryan
Genuine Dell chargers are recognised by Dell laptops and that can make a difference.

I had a similar problem where a Dell charger would charge the battery in a laptop but a non-Dell one would not.

Looking online 90w is specified for that e6410 model so you may need to get a genuine Dell 90w charger
The funny thing is that my laptop i use a after market one and it works just fine. Mine is running windows 10 pro

managed

Allan
Is your laptop also a Dell ?

The genuine and non-genuine chargers for Dell have an extra pin in the centre of the laptop plug which is said to 'tell' the laptop if it's a genuine Dell charger so at least some of the non-genuine ones don't mimic this properly.

LegolasDImir

Bryan
Yes. they are both dells. I have mine on a dock most of the time and while the doc has a genuine dell charger it does not charge there. The wattage on the dock adapter is too high. I know what needs to happen there. I use an after market one when its off the dock

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online