1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

touchpad pointer frozen on screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 59thames, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

Hello,
    My wife's Dell Insprion 1200 (laptop) has a frozen touchpad pointer. I know this isn't the most desirable computer but she only uses for e-bay and e-mails. It was in the shop a couple of weeks ago to have the AC plug in the back of the computer changed. It seemed to work fine for a couple of days before the pointer froze. I've turned it off and unplugged the battery and AC cord, reinstalled both and turned on, pointer still frozen. I tried Fn + F9; still didn't work. I also tried system restore to a month ago, and it still doesn't work. Can anyone help me? Thanks

2. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

I forgot to tell you it has Windows XP as an O/S.

3. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

On the lower right hand corner of the screen there is no display of a touchpad as there is on this laptop.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the touchpad actually the problem, or is a "frozen pointer" just a symptom of a system lockup? When the touchpad doesn't respond, does the keyboard? Does an external mouse work fine?

5. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

Yes, the keys and an external mouse do work.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The fact that there is no icon for it, the drivers may not be loading.

7. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

It appears if an external mouse is hooked up sometimes I don't have the ability to type. I've tried to reload the O.S. that came with it and am not able to complete installation.

8. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

Oh this is great. While attempting to reload the O.S. I did something so that eveything on the screen is upside down now. What did I do.

9. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

I was able to reload the O.S. But when I turn on the computer now I have to select which xp system I want. When you click on one it's like it didn't finish loading the icons. Can it be eliminated? Also I have 3 users now, can two be eliminated. By the way the touchpad still doens't work.

10. 59thames

59thames Thread Starter

Can someone tell me how to eliminate one of the XP operating systems when it first comes up. Also, I still don't have a touchpad. Can only work with an external mouse.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice