Touchpad problems on Dell Lattitude e6420

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chuckhulse3

My Dell e6420 laptop originally Windows 8 with upgrade to Windows 10 worked fine for months after upgrade but recently the touchpad is giving problems. The cursor moves skittishly, or slowly, or freezes. I've tried f12 diagnostics which shows no problems then touchpad works but fails again. I downloaded Alps touchpad driver off Dell website, but forgot to delete old driver. Now when I look in the task manager it shows Alps driver twice with different icons and did not before. ( Each takes .5 mb and seems dumb having both going) Please advise if I should delete both and start over or how to id and delete the oldest one) Still not sure a new driver was going to fix the problem but I'll cross that bridge if it comes. Also, while thinking of duplicate processes I would like to clean out unecessary ones but don't know how to figure out what is junk and what is not?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My Dell e6420 laptop originally Windows 8 with upgrade to Windows 10
The Dell Latitude E6420 laptop is an older model that's designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista and Windows 7.
What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on yours?

Have you tried using an external USB wireless mouse with that laptop?
Besides the fact using one will probably resolve your cursor issue, it allows you to navigate and perform functions easier and quicker.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Chuckhulse3

The Dell Latitude E6420 laptop is an older model that's designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista and Windows 7.
What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on yours?

Besides the fact using one will probably resolve your cursor issue, it allows you to navigate and perform functions easier and quicker.

Service tag; gzmy2r1 express service code: 369

Chuckhulse3

service tage: GZMY2R1 express service code: 36933374957
I know the laptop was designed for older versions of Windows however when I updated to 10 it was fine for 5 months until now. The cursor was not an issue or 5 months. Funny how f12 diagnostics "fixes" it for some hours then it starts again. No I have not tried external mouse as I don't have one, am accustomed to the pad, and want it to work good. I don't know if I will need to buy another pad or if it is software related.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
service tag: GZMY2R1 express service code: 36933374957
According to those numbers, you have THIS Dell Latitude E6420 laptop.
According to its original configuration section, it shipped in August 2011 and came with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and came with these specs:
Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50 GHz dual core processor
6 GB(4 GB + 2 GB) DDR3-1333 RAM
250 GB SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW SATA disc drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics
IDT 92HD90 high definition audio
Intel 825xx gigabit ethernet
Intel WiFi Link 6205 802.11a/g/n wireless mini-card
Alps multi-touch touchpad

Dell didn't test your laptop with Windows 10, so no Windows 10 drivers are provided for its devices.
Because of this, you need to rely on Windows 10 to install all the needed drivers, or you need to hunt for them elsewhere.

How long has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit been installed in yours?
Which "Version" number and "OS Build" number is it?

Because your laptop is 6 years old, it's very possible there's a hardware issue with its touchpad.
I know you prefer to use the touchpad, but I would still try a USB wireless mouse with it.

Last edited:

Chuckhulse3

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name E6420-GZMY2R1
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Latitude E6420
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A17, 3/7/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.502"
User Name E6420-GZMY2R1\Chuck
Time Zone Central America Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.88 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.88 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.70 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Chuckhulse3

Windows 10 was installed a 7/15/2016 according to my command prompt but I believe that is date of last update and it was installed months before that if I am not mistaken

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.502"

Windows 10 was installed a 7/15/2016
According to your log, your laptop is currently running Windows 10 Pro "Creators Update" Version 1703 OS Build 15063.502.
If Windows 10 Pro was installed in July 2016, that means you installed "Anniversary Update" Version 1607 OS Build 14393.
You obviously have since updated it to the "Creators Update" version and build.

There have been 2 monthly cumulative updates released since OS Build 15063.502:
15063.540 (KB4034674)
15063.608 (KB4038788)

I doubt if installing them will resolve your touchpad issue, but you should update it anyway.

Note: The "Fall Creators Update" Version 1709/1710 OS Build 163xx is scheduled to be released next month.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
(y)

I'm shutting down for the night.

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you type winver in the search box and then press the Enter key, a small window will appear.
The "Version" and "OS Build" numbers will be listed there.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chuckhulse3

Thanks Frank. I do appreciate your time. We already have the version and os build as per above.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online