Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchpad Stopped Working

709 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sisterpete 
#1 ·
i have a compaq 1720us with a synaptic touchpad. it has worked great until tonight. something has got changed somehow, somewhere. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers, i am using windows xp pro.

the one thing i have noticed is this... if i go into the control panel/system/hardware/device manager/mice or other pointing devices/synaptic touchpad in the general tab where you can normally select "enable" or "disable" this device, it is grayed out, with nothing in the box and i cannot select it at all.

all of the other devices in my pc allow me to select this option. i can plug in my usb mouse and it works just fine. but it's not very useful while traveling wich i do several times a week usually.

any help would be great. i have just spent about two hours on chat with hp/compaq doing all of the stuff they tell me to do, even though i did most of it before i called them.

the touchpad does not work in safe mode, it does not work in selective startup mode using msconfig.

i give up!!! HELP!!!

thanks, jimmy

See less See more
#3 ·
I have tried that several times... I have done everything I can think to do... with one exception... to go through the entire registry looking for the problem. I don't really want to do that, but..........

Anyone with an idea why xp will not allow me to restore? It is turned on, goes. I can go ro system restore, find a previous restore point, select it, the pc will go through the entire process, reboot and then tell me it couldn't do it, so nothing was done to my computer. OH BROTHER!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.