1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Touchpad suddenly stops working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cocax, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cocax

Cocax Thread Starter

I have an Acer Aspire One D250 with a synaptics touchpad bought on March 20th which hasn't given me any problems till 3 days ago.

Friday, when I turned the computer on, the touchpad wasn't working. I tried Fn+F7 and nothing. The usual synaptics animated icon wasn't beside the clock. I went to the control panel>mouse>device settings and no device was listed there, while all the options were greyed out. I went to system>device manager and no "Mouse and other pointing devices" was listed. I went to Acer.pt (I'm from portugal) and downloaded the driver and installed it. The instalation went without problems and when I restarted the computer, the touchpad was still not working and nothing was listed on the device manager.

I called the Acer support line and the told me to restore the OS. I spent friday doing backups and I reinstalled Windows XP from Acer eRecovery Management. After all that, the touchpad wasn't working still.

Saturday was spent going to the store where I bought the netbook and trying to find a solution. Just as when I was going to give the netbook to warranty, a guy turned the computer on and the touchpad was magically working again.

I went home, all happy and warm and fuzzy inside.

Today, when I was copying my backups to the netbook again, I hit "cancel", and the icon next to the clock disappered and the touchpad stoped working again. Went to check, and nothing was listed on the device manager or on control panel>mouse>device settings. I restarted the netbook, and voilá, touchpad working.

Then, when the pc restarted after ScanDisk, the touchpad wasn't working again. Checked everything, again no touchpad was listed on devices. Opened the Task Manager and the process SynTPEnh.exe was there as usual. Then, the computer freezes.

I restarted, and the touchpad was still not working. Restarted again, and nothing. Restarted once more, nothing. On the forth time, the touchpad started working again.

I'm going crazy over this! I can't seem to figure out what's responsible for this. I can't even figure out if it's a hardware or a software problem. I have exams in a week and I can't be wasting time on this. I have 3 college papers to present next week and I really need this netbook!

Can somebody please help me?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the Acer Factory Restore failed to fix it and it intermittently comes and goes its likely a hardware issue. I'd be contacting Acer again and sending the unit in for warranty service.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice