Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchpad synaptics problem

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  roberto21 
#1 ·
Hello, this is a strange problem I am having...
I used to have xp on my amilo laptop, with synaptics driver 7.10.10, May 2004 driver. The nice thing about this was that the touchpad was disabled when an external mouse was plugged in, just by ticking the proper box in the driver setting panel (disable touchpad when external ... ). Easy and working fine: also, the touchpad was reenabled automatically removing the external mouse.
Now I switched to win7, and I lost this capability. Fujitsu site does not have an updated driver, and recommends to use the manufacturer drivers. Fine, but...
1) the latest version for Win 7/Vista 32 bit is 14.0.3.C, it works OK but there is no trace of that box (disable touchpad when external...): you can only disable the touchpad, and reenable manually.
2) in desperation, I took the old driver used in xp, run the setup in compatibility mode, and it installed (barring the usual complaints about incompatibility); again, it works fine, but no trace of that capability.

Is something in win7 preventing this feature from working? Or is some mix of amilo hardware and win7 causing the problem?
Thanks for any suggestion
Roberto, Milan, Italy

See less See more
#2 ·
That "feature" is certainly useful. But it does not always work as well as it did for you. I used it that way for a long time and was very pleased with the way it worked. But a new mouse led to chaos and things flying around my screen like someone left the door open in a hurricane. I couldn't use it any more.

So I'd say that feature was probably pretty unstable, at least with some hardware, and they may well have decided that it shouldn't be allowed to cause the problems it did for some people.

In any case, it is up to the manufacturer to make their software work. So it is not Windows where the solution ought to be sought.

#3 ·
You may be right, of course: a non-functioning feature should be removed. But this does not explain why in the OLD driver, perfectly working in XP, the ENTIRE tick box (and related option) disappears completely when installing in win7. Is it really possible that a clash between driver and OS causes the user interface to change? I would have expected the tick box still there but not functioning...
Thanks
Roberto

#4 ·
You'll have to ask the company about that. Is the version you installed certified for 7? If it is, the company more than likely disabled that feature.

#5 ·
Easier said than done. Of course release 14 (and now 15, I tried this one also) is ok for vista, win7 etc. Unfortunately on Synaptics site there is no way to send an inquiry or ask for assistance, and from Italy it is even worse...
That's Ok, I give up. One note: in the list of changes, bugs etc in the file "release txt" attached to the version 15.0 of the driver, it is written (for version 10.1.1 10/2007 and, presumably, for all subsequent ones): ADDED "disable internal pointing device when external usb pointing device is attached" feature to syn1909 and syn190B. Set default to OFF". Beats me if I understand what syn's are, but it seems that the feature should be present and was added to accommodate different...what?
Thank you for your patience.
Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.