Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchpad won't disable

7K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  aka Brett 
#1 ·
I have an Inspiron 1525 laptop and have installed a microsoft wireless mouse as I don't like using the touchpad. My problem is that I have disabled the touchpad but ALAS, it still works..causing the curser to jump all over while I'm typing. Does anyone know why it would still work when I have disabled it?

#3 ·
Attached is a screenshot of the Mouse properties on my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I, too, use a USB mouse. You will note the box in the lower left corner of the window entitled "Disable Touchpad/Stick when USB pointing device is present" is checked. This works on my Dell just fine. If I disconnect the USB mouse, the touchpad works. Then when I reconnect, the touchdown is disabled.

Raybro

Attachments

#10 ·
Brett,
I uninstalled my touchpad...then went to your link...When I found out I'd have to pay $30+ for the driver update program, I said "whoa!" I'm not gonna pay for that! Guess what? My stupid touchpad is still working!!! I think it must have a life of it's own from another planet. Thanks for trying anyway...

#14 ·
When you remove an item in the device manager, when you reboot the computer, windows will reinstall it. So that is probably why it is still there.
You might try getting a different driver from www.driverguide.com. The site is free to use but you must register to use it. I have used the site for several years and have always been able to find what I was needing
Good luck
vicks

#16 ·
They list the items for each mfg in groups. You can look for items by the mfg. name or model number.
If you need to know the model number use www.belarc.com. It is a small free program that lists everything on your computer, including license/key number, models numbers etc. I keep a hard copy for each of our computers for reference if/when problems occur.
vicks

#17 ·
The alps driver for the dell 1525 is very basic and dont have a disabling features...Same as the original posters pc.
I use a toshiba drivers which is the best I have found so far,,,was just curious if there was a way to compare drivers on that site..as i want one with precision scrolling and coasting

#19 ·
Thanks to you both for your replies.

The Dell 1525 touchpad DOES have a disabling feature and I've done it before and it worked. Just can't get it to work now. I've even tried a system restore and that won't work either.
My driver was pretty much null of feature with my1525...{why i got the driver i sent you the link to,I still want one better myself though..precision scolling with continued or coast feature}..the link i sent you does have continued scrolling but lacks precision or coasting..i wont buy anything with an alps again unless I can locate a good driver}
whats your service tag number..so I can go to the dell site to download the driver and check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.