Touchpad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ndurad

Hi. My laptop (Compaq Presario CQ58) touchpad doesn't want to work. I installed the Synaptic pointing device driver but it says unable to connect to the software. I updated it but still no change. I also rebooted it but nothing happened. I'm using a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Please help me.

managed

Allan
Please post the full model name for the laptop, should be on a label underneath and look similar to CQ58-140SM.

In Device Manager what is listed under 'Mice and other pointing devices' ?

plodr

Liz
Is this your current driver?
Synaptics TouchPad Driver
16.0.1.0 108.4 MB Apr 27, 2012
Source: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...CQ58-Notebook-PC-series/5259206/model/5273664

If not, download that driver and install it.
You don't update drivers through 3rd party sites, driver programs, or Windows updates.In most cases all those do is break a working bit of hardware.
Since the manufacturer hasn't updated the driver since 2012, that's the driver that works.

Ndurad

Hi. Sorry for taking time to respond. The model name of the laptop is Presario CQ58 Notebook. The current driver is Synaptic TouchPad driver but the laptop says unable to connect to the Synaptic pointing device driver.

AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn
I haven't used Windows 7 in a long time, but maybe try this:
  1. Windows+r, then type misconfig
  2. Go to Services tab
  3. Then find and check your touchpad service
  4. Apply, Ok

AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn
Also:
  1. Open your control panel
  2. Hardware and Sound
  3. Under Devices and Printers, click mouse
  4. Device Settings Tab(should show Synaptics name towards the top middle)
  5. If it is Disabled, then enable(if enabled maybe disable it then re-enable)

plodr

Liz
There is also a touchpad on/off button on the top left corner of the touchpad. I don't think I've ever seen this. The touchpad is usually turned off or on with a function key. At least the 3 we have currently in the house work that way.touchpad.jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts