1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tough One

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moelker, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

Well, been having some problems with my PC over the last few weeks. It will run fine, temps around the 50s with AMD XP 2500+; however, when running a game, even older games like Diablo 2, every so often the computer will shut down. Inside my PC there is a lil green light. Right next to the light on the motherboard is the word FAN 2. When my PC shuts down, the light turns red, and the only way to boot the PC again is to unplug and replug it. I have no fan 2, and in my BIOS the only fans that work are 1 and 3. If anyone has any idea on why my computer crashes like this during gaming, please let me know. Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are sure that there is no true overheating happening, try entering BIOS setup to see if there is a way to disable that fan and its monitoring.

3. Shuzzy

Shuzzy

Try installing another fan there.It sounds like overheating to me

4. Whitestar

Whitestar

Yeah. Id go with overheating as well.

5. zeddy

zeddy

Overheating sounds right, check the heatsink is flush with the CPU, if it is then what are you using as thermal paste?, you may want to look at a better paste such as artic silver, or a different heatsink/fan combination.

6. moelker

moelker Thread Starter

After a lot of annoyance, i finally realized the light inside was the "CPU Overtemp LED", aka overheating. turns out my system is different from others, due to it's compact design. i had it in an area that was kind of contained, with no real ventilation, causing the hot air to just be reabsorbed. i've moved my PC, and it is in an open area with a house fan (fan not necesarry, but helps). thx for the replies guys, keep up the good work =)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice