1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toughbook CF-28

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sykraken, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sykraken

sykraken Thread Starter

Good day, We have a CF28 PTJAZDM-B It was working fine when we bought it and has been in storage for several months. Now when I turn the power on the power light comes on; the MP light comes on (there are two on this unit one in a left pointing arrow and one in square) and the keyboard lights up.... and sometimes there is a crackling sound. The unit then issues a series of beeps. 1 beep; 3 beeps; 3 beeps; 1 beep I checked the service manual and this series of beeps doesn't appear. The screen remains dead and nothing else happens. Please can anyone help? Thanks Graham

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the only codes I can find that are 1-3-3-1 are the phoenix bios and means an Autosize DRAM issue - so a memory issue failure accessing, initializing or "autodetecting" the extended memory

On the laptop - there may be a cover on the bottom of the machine which when removed allows access to the memory - where you maybe able to reseat

3. sykraken

sykraken Thread Starter

Thanks for that, there are two micro switches under the cover, to reset which switch, and must the unit be powered up.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i was refering to the Bottom of the machine - so if turned over completely and there may be a cover there which may need to be unscrewed - do you have a user manual - this may show you exactly how to expand / upgrade the memory

Looking at this manual here -
    http://modly.net/servicemanuals/CF-28M-Service-Manual-With-Schematic.pdf
    Diagram 6,6 on page 6-3 explains how to access the RAM

5. sykraken

sykraken Thread Starter

OOPS sorry just removed the waterproof film, does not look like any switches

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why are you referring to switches ?

7. sykraken

sykraken Thread Starter

Hi there is no card in that position slot is empty. The plate on the bottom of the machine exposes a small circuit board.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    shame - it must just be internal memory then .... so probably a bit difficult to access
    not sure what else to suggest

9. sykraken

sykraken Thread Starter

Thanks, I opened the machine up using a service manual, in the hopes of seeing some obvious problem with no luck. I checked all the connectors and ribbons and reassembled. When I powered up all the indicator lights flashed briefly but only the power light and MP light stayed on, and I got the same beeps.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice