1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toughbook Hidden Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by applecrisp, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. applecrisp

applecrisp Thread Starter

Hey so my toughbook CF-72 has an ethernet port which is covered by a metal sheath which I removed and promptly put a cable into but evidently it doesn't work. Well not only does it not work device manager doesn't even recognize it as being there. it does say however there is an "unknown device" so I tryed to install the ethernet controller driver but it did nothing so I rolled it back to "unknown device".

Whats the Deal here? thanks in advance

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. applecrisp

OKay so I did that and it shows all devices even ones with drivers...Im kinda slow today but I don't see anything that relats to a LAN port only WAN miniport stuff and they all have drivers. There is not even anyhting about TCP/IP or anything. I know its a Lan prt though because I looked in the manual..... So y the F didn't Xp notice it!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you check the impulse to start posting with profanity. :rolleyes:

You may need to install the chipset drivers for the machine before the Ethernet drivers will do the trick.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm wondering what happened to this Toughbook. The ethernet doesn't work and neither does the screen. Perhaps it just took too much abuse.

6. applecrisp

How did you know about the screen? BTW I have to neither of them have ethernet but the screen is fine in one of them. anyways does the ethernet require an ethernet module card thing like a modem does because from the actuall port if you follow it along the motherboard there is no cable connected to the white hook up and no card in slot thing.. slot looks like this
    - ---------------------

P.S srry for the F bomb, lack of impulse control on my part

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Because you posted about it here. :rolleyes:

I've never heard of a laptop having a "fake" ethernet port.

8. applecrisp

hah yea that would be a reason you'd know... Anyways the port is not fake, but do laptops have cards for certain things like that? Here are some pics the first one shows the "empty slot" (RED) and the rough pattern of copper on the chip (in blue) from the port to white connector. The white connector is the next shot. on the flipside of the motherboard there is the exact same slot but its filled with a chip for the dialup modem, a cable goes to a white connecter from the modem chip just a little smaller than the one in the pic. Is it the same concept for ethernet?
    Images here www.freewebs.com/thinkoutsidetheboard

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!