1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toughbook needs OS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by klsees, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

Got a sweet little Panasonic toughbook for hubby, but no OS installed. It is old and used.

Specs: as best as I can tell

Model # CF M34VHFZDM
    Serial # 3JKYA23517
    CPU Type Mobile Intel (r) Pentium (r) III CUP - M 933MHz
    CPU Speed 933 MHz
    BIOS: V5.00L16
    Embedded Controller: V6.00L11
    System Memory: 256 MB
    Primary Master: 20 GB

Touch pad enabled
    Display Simultaneous
    Environment Normal Temperature

Serial port A, serial port B, Touch screen, parallel port, Modem, Legacy USB support : All of these are enabled.
    Mode: ECP
    Password is enabled (but not set)

Boot: CD Drive (there is not one), HDD, Floppy drive (there is not one), LAN

When powered on screen displays
    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
    Copyright 1997-2000

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010817)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
    Operating system not found

My first step was to take it to my local guy & have him fix this for me. He basically said it would take too much money ( which I interpret as too much of his time.)

Second step was to connect CD drive and attempt to install OS XP. Same message. I don't think it recognized the CD drive.

Third step was to have toughbook boot from LAN with cable connected to my notebook. I never said I was smart, but but at least my notebook didn't crash. I got this message:

CLINT MAC ADDR: 00 D0 59 46 1C 55 GUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00D059461C55
    PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.
    PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
    Operating System not found

Fourth step, research, which was also my between 1 & 2 step. I found a link that described how to install OS w/o cd/floppy, but it was a bit overwhelming. I probably could manage this but am too timid to go it alone.

http://www.syschat.com/install-windows-xp-without-floppy-cd-463.html

Is there a kind soul out there who will talk, walk me through getting this toughbook to work. I am capable of opening it up and doing "stuff", I would just like to have someone who knows a bit more,,ok, ok, a whole lot more about computers than me to help.

Thanks for any feedback, I know it's Christmas season & I myself have to work, but if you get bored with all the new toys......well....thanks anyway..

2. Hughv

Hughv

Get into the BIOS and see if there is a Hard drive detected. "Operating system not found" may indicate a failure.

3. DerekC

DerekC

Last time I saw anything similar to this message, it was because the computer was setup to boot via network in the bios.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Might check to make sure there is actually a hard drive installed. I've seen some older systems sold without the hard drive; it had been removed and destroyed to protect personal data.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Does the BIOS setup boot order have an option to boot from USB? If so we could provide instructions for making a bootable thumb drive to install an OS. This would be the easiest option.

You mentioned connecting a CD drive that didn't work. What kind was it, an external with USB interface?

6. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

There is no "getting into bios".... Bios is the first part of my post (the specs) I cannot change anything on the screen except from english to japanese. Naturally, I have chosen english. I have booted from each option; CD drive, HDD, Floppy drive and LAN. Each come back with the messages listed in original post. The CD drive is an external LG GE20 which has one USB connector and AC power cord. After connecting CD drive to toughbook, I placed XP installation disc but toughbook did not read and gave the error message. I haven't had time to open the thing to actually see if HD is there. Will have time tomorrow..... Thanks to everyone who replied......it's time for church......

7. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is a pic I took this am..... All the necessary equipment is there. Just gotta figure out how to make it work....

8. Hughv

Hughv

Being "there" is not the same as functioning.
    I suspect your HD is dead, but you need to get into the BIOS to find out.

9. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

I'm in the bios screen....I am unable to change anything

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Toughbooks, by design, are meant to take some abuse. You're dealing with a pretty old one there. Do you know its history? If not, it's possible it has already taken quite a beating. The fact is that none of the drives are even detected, and you have no access to the BIOS. It's a doorstop. Did you pay money for this? If so, get a refund.

11. Hughv

Hughv

Is the HD shown?
    What type and size?

12. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

No HD is not shown. BIOS: V5.00L16,
    Curser will not move away from language

13. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

Top of screen
    Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility

Columns
    Info (which is the specs I gave in the beginning)
    Main: system time, date, touch pad(enabled) and Display (simultaneous)
    Advanced : which are all the serial ports which show enabled
    Security : all enabled but not set
    Boot: CD drive, HDD, Floppy drive, LAN
    Exit: save & exit, exit s/o saving, load previous values, save current values, refresh battery

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I suspect the laptop has a hard drive since you posted "Primary Master: 20 GB" in your first post.

There are a couple of ways to get an OS onto the laptop. One involves putting the hard drive into another computer which should be a desktop with an IDE interface available, and you need a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch IDE drive adapter. Do you have these available?

The other is PXE boot. You need to have another computer (laptop or desktop with a CD or DVD drive) that is connected to a router or modem/router; and the router must be configured to serve IP addresses using DHCP. Do you have these available?

Both procedures are complicated but we can walk you through it once we know which way to proceed. Also need to know what OS is on the other computer for either case.

15. klsees

klsees Thread Starter

I do not have an adapter.
    I do have a wireless router, and a laptop,
    Router: Linksys wireless G with speed booster 2.4GHz
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 5000, with cd drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!