1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ToughBook Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by applecrisp, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. applecrisp

applecrisp Thread Starter

Hello aquired a Panasonic toughbook of whichs screen is only white when I start it up. I have connected it to an external monitor and everything works hunk dory. I don't think the screen is dead because usually don't they go black when dead? plus it responds to signals like when the windows xp boot disc changes the screen dramtically on the normal monitor it'll flash black then back to solid unchainging white? what is the deal

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

They only fail as "black" when it is the backlight or inverter that fails.

In your case it sounds like the screen electronics itself has failed.

3. applecrisp

Update:
    Well after large amounts of swapping out parts from the exact laptop that works I discovered that
    A) Both screens work fine
    B) Video card is fine due to it working on monitor
    C) All cables are fine because when swapped they work just fine
    D) The chip/piece which connects cables from screen to motherboard via single connection port is not broken because I get the same white screen with the good laptops chip

So what elese could it be? because correct me if Iam wrong the external monitor would show nothing if the video card was broken.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not necessarily, there are two different sections, an analog one for the external and a digital one for the laptop screen. Each has its own electronics.

5. applecrisp

Okay so if its the electronics for the screnn then is that most likely hard wired to the motherboard and pointless to even attempt to fix

I can post Pics tommorw so you and others can get a better Idea of what Im dealing with in terms of electronics

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Usually the video in laptops is embedded.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

And it could be difficult to identify via a picture, but you will know immediately yourself if the external screen and the internal screen cable attach to the mother board that it is internal and embedded.

If they attach to a separate plug in module, its external, but unlikely to be so.

8. applecrisp

okay well I took it right apart and it seems as though everything is embedded but umm there is slot which looks to be a VRAM slot? it looks like normal laptop ram but the notch is like this:

--- ---------------------|
    So Im not quite sure what that is but if it were video ram that would explain the probelm yes? These laptops I bought at an auction from the Government so alot of stuff is stripped from them...

9. applecrisp

actually disregard everything I just said becasue I open the working one up and its the same "empty slot" thing yet it works fine.

10. stranglehold

stranglehold

Cable from the board to the screen?

11. applecrisp

No... the cable goes from the screen simply to a secondary chip that has the speakers and also the cable for the screen power. This chip then connects to main board via a male to female connection of some sort not sure what its actually called?

12. stranglehold

stranglehold

The reason I asked is, I had a toughbook that had a screen failure due to fatigue of the cable running through the hinge for the screen. It was one of those flat ribbon type cables.

13. applecrisp

ahhh yes those guys, yea I swapped them out for new ones and still no difference as well as I said swapped out the power chip thing with the "high voltage" on it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice