1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tower cleaning / monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claudia5858, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. claudia5858

claudia5858 Thread Starter

Hello! I was cleaning the fans in my tower bC they needed it, and when I put the case back on, and went to use the computer, the monitors are on but not waking up. It is like they have no idea the computer is on and I'm waiting for them to function. What could I have done?? :(

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably knocked something loose. Re-seat all the cables, cards, and other connections. Make sure nothing is loose or disconnected. Or if your computer has multiple ports for the monitor make sure its connected to the right one.

How did you do the cleaning?

If that doesn't work, post the complete specs of your computer and model number and maybe post a few pictures of the inside of the computer.

3. claudia5858

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure what to reseat? The only thing I unplugged was one of the fans. I do not see any removable cables that touch the video card...uploading picture here. Thank you for helping me, I appreciate it.

4. claudia5858

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Remove and re-insert the video card. There's also two power connectors that go to the motherboard, one or RAM sticks. Removed and reconnect those too.

6. claudia5858

How much effort does it take to remove? Im scared to break it :/

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the monitor connected to the ports on the video card or higher up near the mouse and keyboard?

Did you remove the screw holding it in at the back? There's also a clip at the end of the black slot that has to be released/lifted up to release it at that end.

For future reference, you don't need to unplug or remove anything. A can of compressed air usually does the trick.

8. claudia5858

I used compressed air and did not think I moved anything accept the fan plug. :( But realized I made some error along the cleaning. The monitors both plug in right at the card in the back. There is a small screw by the Grey tape-looking connection.

9. claudia5858

Not sure if this matters, but I unplugged the monitors from the back just now and the screen changed to tell me the cable was not plugged in...so am I in the right area?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, thats the right spot.

Any beeps?

Check the RAM as well, from your picture you appear to have two stick, remove both and then re-install them.

Make sure the power is disconnected before doing any of these steps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice