1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tower not connecting to Peripherals

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tokiahonta, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tokiahonta

Tokiahonta Thread Starter

Hi There,

My tower is not sending a signal to my monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have to continually press it on and off and it usually eventually connects sometimes it takes 10 times, sometimes it takes more than 50.

I have taken apart my tower, cleaned it and rewired it etc. Nothing is working. I just want it to turn on in the first instance.

When it eventually turns on and it runs absolutely fine, no issues.

Any help??

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello Tokiahonta, and welcome to TSG.

Unless you are developing your own operating system software you have posted your problem in the incorrect forum on this site. If your computer is running some version of Windows, it should have probably been posted to our hardware forum. Please advise if this is the case and I will request a moderator move for you.

If this is a standard computer from a major manufacturer, please give us the name of the manufacturer and the full and exact model number of the computer. Otherwise please provide a list of the manufacturers and model numbers of all the major components.

When you say, "I have to continually press it on and off" do you mean a power button on the front of the computer? If so, does anything happen at all when you press the button for the first time? Do any lights on the tower come on? Do fans spin? Can you hear hard drive activity? Do you hear any beep noises from the tower?

3. Tokiahonta

Tokiahonta Thread Starter

Apologies, tower lights up and fans are running fine. And yes the on and off button on the front of the tower. No beeping noises coming from tower either.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Nothing to apologize about. A mod has moved this thread to the right forum.

It does sound like a hardware problem. Many motherboards either have audible beep codes or onboard status LEDs that indicate if the boards passes Power On Self Test or where it has failed. Please answer ...

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What you describe is a classic pw supply issue. What happens is that when the pw supply is OFF, the capacitors loose their charge. When the system is switched ON, there is not enough pw to boot. After a few retries, the caps come up and the system will boot.
    To test, swap in a know good pw supply. Note you do not have to connect everything; simply connect atx and aux pw connectors to the motherboard. Hit the ON button and see if it will complete POST. If so, shutdown and fully install a new pw supply.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice