1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TP-Link Router not giving 150 Mbps

Discussion in 'Networking' started by morland, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi,

Details:
    1. Using XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)
    2. Laptop = Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E
    3. Recently purchased a TP-Link Router (TL-WR740N) which claims to give 150 Mbps speed

The Problem:
    When connected, my Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN shows a speed of only 65 Mbps . A friend came over with his laptop (having Windows 7) and was able to get 150 Mbps speed.

Can someone please help me fix the problem so that I can also get the same speed. Do I need to upgrade the driver? If so how and from where? Or maybe the solution is much simpler? Please help. Will be very thankful.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Having the latest driver from your PC manufacturer's web site for the Intel wireless adapter would certainly be a good start. :)

Secondly, I assume that you are using XP's WZC utility or the Intel Proset to manage the connection. Whichever one you are using, try the other one. If there is some Sony utility you have 3 with which to experiment. Make sure that only one is running at a time, as they will conflict.

3. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply TerryNet. I have already updated the driver. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original posy. I am using XP's WZC utility. Tried the other one (Intel Proset) but that simply did not work. Just did not detect my wireless connection? Should I disable the WZC service restart the laptop and then try again?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, I would try that. Usually, in my experience, the Intel Proset works as well as or better than WZC. (My theory is that Intel's utility code makes up for flaky drivers.)

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet. Thanks again and my apologies for the late feedback. To cut a very long story short, I ended up trying almost everything but the problem remained and my connectivity was still showing 65 Mbps :( I've given up and am instead thinking about shifting to Windows 7 (not sure if it will be 32-bit or 64-bit).

Regards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice