1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TPlink router keeps on resetting itself

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zesszehel, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zesszehel

zesszehel Thread Starter

Hello,

My router keeps on resetting itself since last night and it had constantly been doing that at every 30 mins or so.
    I also have the DD-WRT firmware installed on it.
    The firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r35874 std (05/04/18)
    I'm not sure if I should update the firmware since there is an update put up already, but i'm scared that while updating the firmware the router would reset itself during the procedure.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it is plugged into a surge protector or power strip try plugging it directly into a wall outlet.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    By resetting do you mean rebooting or do you mean resetting it's internal settings?

You can also try another outlet on a completely different circuit too.

DD-WRT v3.0-r35874 is many versions behind.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

IMHO the 1000$ question is -
    DD-WRT
    on TP Link router
    - where from - for the firmware TP-Link or the DD-WRT site.
    Many TPLink routers will not work with DD-WRT

I suggest, if it is not a TP Link firmware, which I do not think it is, you revert to TP Link provided firmware

There have been many problems with many editions of DD-WRT and I thought that release was actually a Beta version, however whether it was or not, as my colleague says it is out of date
    https://svn.dd-wrt.com//timeline

That all said - If you are going to use DD-WRT on any router then you just have to be prepared for problems and indeed you always run the risk of your TP-Link router becoming useful only as a paperweight.

5. zesszehel

zesszehel Thread Starter

It resets itself completely. I had to put in new password and username for the routers firmware and everything

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Flash it to the newest available DD-WRT version and see if it works properly. If not flash it back to stock firmware. If it still acts up toss it and buy a new router.

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I would if you have to go down that route be careful about attempting to use DD-WRT, unless you are willing to risk the new router

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice