Solved TPM Enabled for Windows 11

rbaroncpd010

When I did a "check for updates" on my PC I discovered it was not ready for Windows 11. My PC is 1 year old and I built it using an ASUS motherboard Strix Z390 E.

I learned that the TPM was not enabled so I did some looking and found it in the BIOS under:

Advanced-->PCH-FW--> Config. It was set to something like TPM Passive. Under the dropdown menu I changed it. When I did that it said something like there is now encryption enabled and needs a key. And if the key is lost or the CPU module is changed the computer will not work and all files will be locked etc.

So my questions is this, where is this key they are referring to? Say the module goes bad and needs replacing.... what do I do? Is this something I should be worried about? Has anyone else come across this problem? Or message?

Also after enabling the TPM, PC Health Check says Congrats, you're ready for Windows 11. But when I do an update check it says that "This PC doesn't currently meet all system requirements for Windows 11." The only way to fix is download the PC Health check app and run it which I did and it says it is ready for Windows 11.

But my main worry is the other question regarding the key and having my files locked.

Thanks in advance.........

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
We know nothing about your PC, other than you built it about a year ago and it has an ASUS motherboard, so please do the following in it:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your PC will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
The key its referring to is an encryption key, typically called the BitLocker Recovery Key. BitLocker is part of Windows 10 (Pro, Education, and Enterprise - Not available for Home Edition) but there are 3rd party programs that can also do encryption. I have mixed information about Windows 11 Home though... I am showing that it will not have BitLocker, but another article says that BitLocker is enabled for Windows 11 and you sign in with a Windows account.

Having said that, turning on TPM shouldn't start the encryption. Only when you start the BitLocker process. It will ask you to save it on a USB key, or if you have a Microsoft account, it will be securely stored on your Microsoft account.

If your computer has a failure where you need to replace the motherboard, then you should be fine if you are using a Microsoft account, otherwise you will need the USB with the key file.

In my opinion, you should never store files on the physical computer, but on an external storage device, or at least in the cloud (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc) so in the event you have a problem with your drive, the files are backed up.

rbaroncpd010

Sorry about not giving enough info regarding my system so here it is.....

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20201031083107.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (398 GB Free); D: 3725 GB (3594 GB Free); F: 465 GB (463 GB Free); G: 931 GB (0 GB Free); H: 1862 GB (639 GB Free); I: 1863 GB (1858 GB Free); J: 4657 GB (3537 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 190449128401527
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

rbaroncpd010

Couriant

Thanks for the info. I feel better about enabling the TPM on my Machine now. The only thing is that I have Windows 10 Pro not Home. But that should not matter yes?

Couriant

James
Correct, the OS does not matter. BitLocker is (should) not enabled by default, unless you are signing into your computer with microsoft account then that may turn on. You can check that by going to File Explorer and right clicking on your C: drive. If it shows Manage BitLocker then it's on. If it says Turn On BitLocker then it's not on.

You have the ability to turn it on and follow the prompts, but it does come with risks, i.e. if you lose the bitlocker key and you need to access the drive elsewhere or if you had mobo failure, then you are out of luck. Encryption is really used more within a corporate setting, unless you have people you don't trust in your home :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700
Your computer has an 8th generation Intel processor, so you're good to go for Windows 11.
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
Capture.JPG

Your motherboard has BIOS version 1903 which provides support for Windows 11.
If it currently has an older BIOS version, you should update it.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

rbaroncpd010

Thanks much for all the above that helped answer my question.

I would consider this topic closed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online