Tracert command

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Couriant

James
I have removed your poll as it is irrelevant and has repeated choices.

As to the answer, it depends. If you are doing the tracert from home, then it should be only one in a typical setup. From the outside, it will depend on how the ISP routers confirm where the IP is and the route it will take to get there. Within the US, I see normally about 10-15 hops.

Laughalotkpg

Ok. I'm doing it from home and only getting request timed out at 30 hops. Can you tell me why is that?

Couriant

James
Do you have your own router? Or are you using an modem/router?

Couriant

James
They may be blocking the PING / Trace routes to the modem, or the modem has a setting to block it. You will need to look in the settings. I have Cox and I was able to trace route to my modem.

Laughalotkpg

They may be blocking the PING / Trace routes to the modem, or the modem has a setting to block it. You will need to look in the settings. I have Cox and I was able to trace route to my modem.
I cant look into the settings because of some weird redirection to a less friendly version of the router settings that lets me do nothung. Also may I ask why would I keep fing mobile devices on my local network that just shows a mac address but not connected to my network?

Couriant

James
It could be devices you have, like when I had a DVR, I had 2-3 MACs showing for the same device. Can you give me some examples? (just the first 6 digits)

Laughalotkpg

I dont have it anymore.I deleted it but I have had some that I coulnt delete and had the isp delete from their end. Now when I looked up the mac address it said and Lg cell phone wich Imdo not own. Last time it was a tch phone wich I dont own either. I just recenly called my isp and all they suggested was to switch modems. What do you think?

Couriant

James
I cant look into the settings because of some weird redirection to a less friendly version of the router settings that lets me do nothung. Also may I ask why would I keep fing mobile devices on my local network that just shows a mac address but not connected to my network?
That may be due to how the ISP is allowing the access.

TerryNet

Terry
How would I know wether it does or not?
Try to do a tracert to the WAN IP address. Failed trace means you do not have it.

Well if it does why do I need loopback?
I wouldn't say there is a real need, but it can be convenient. For example, say I want to view an IP camera from a remote location. I set up port forwarding, and then want to test it. If my router has that loopback (which my TRENDnet does) I can simply test from my LAN. If I did not have it I would need to leave my nice comfy chair and go somewhere to test with a cellular connection or another LAN.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online