1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tracing an ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyber19583, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyber19583

cyber19583 Thread Starter

is it possible to get a type of software that will allow for tracing or tracking down an ip address.....the situation occurs in a college dorm setting..... i returned to my dorm to find that my norton utililies/personal firewall had detected that someone had attempted to gain access to my computer.. the utility actually let me know the ip address of origin...i went to the IT dept and found out that the origin was from my dorm bldg. ...what i would like to do is trace the source further.....IS THIS POSSIBLE TO DO?

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Sure it's possible, but what good do you think it's really going to do? At most you're going to get the name of the machine, which will probably be something really descriptive like "HP desktop".....without your IT dept's cooperation, which by them only willing to tell you it originated in your dorm gives me the impression that they don't really care, it's very unlikey that you will be able to track this person down. The person was probably only doing a port scan of all the machines on the local network to see if anything was open. This does not mean he was trying to hack you, just looking for open doors.

3. LupinIII

LupinIII

I used to use neotrace to trace IP's or to ping game servers.
    lets you see where the holdup is. has a neat map thingy.
    You used to be able to see the whois but now it's a pay feature heh.

There's also the tracert program that's probably in your computer already with Windows.
    click start<run<type: tracert
    type in the ip and away it goes...hop hop hop down the hall to the guy in your class hoping to copy your homework hehe
    you'd need your schools IT's help..dunno if they'd really help but why not try.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's why you have a firewall, forget it and move on.

5. shenrick

shenrick

I agree with johnwill. Just make sure your computer is secure, ie. by using a firewall, and making sure your anti-virus software is up to date. As another poster put it, it could just be someone looking for a backdoor into your computer. It's not really worth the headache and time to try to track every person that tries to gain access to your computer via the net. (Example...I normally get "hit" at least a cpl hundred times a day, but my firewall and router stops them at the door. If I tried to track down every single person that tried to access my network, I'd never get any work done..lol) Anyway, I'm rambling...just make sure that your firewall is up to date, and forget about the guy down the hall who has nothing better to do than sit in his dorm on Sat. nights trying to gain access to other peoples PC's. It's just not worth the headache of tracking this ....ahem.....person down. Good luck to you!

6. Dingus

Dingus

I would normally agree with you guys, BUT, I keep getting scanned by the same address, which is getting on my nerves.
    The address is 217.32.108.165 I've tried tracert and also IP trace programs but no luck. I've thot about pinging with -t untill doomsday but the pings fail.

Can anyone trace this address or tell my how to ipss them off. :mad:

7. hewee

hewee

8. hewee

hewee

9. Dingus

Dingus

Thanks Hewee, I tried them but it looks like whoever is scanning also knows how to hide. :mad:

10. hewee

hewee

Your welcome.
    Maybe the dorm is stoping you from get more info.
    Try and use another persons PC and do a trace on your PC to see if you get tru.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice