1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracing emails - advice needed (theoretical)

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Karnivore, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karnivore

Karnivore Thread Starter

Morning all,

Received this overnight, from a good friend - but it's not really my field - so thought I'd ask on here

"Is there a good source of info about email security, specifically tracking origin, who sent a message and where from?

Judging by what you've said it's quite easy to disguise, but I wondered where I can read up on the issues.

Reason is I'm trying to write a detective novel.

The main character is alleged to have received threats and the suspicion of course falls initially on disgruntled fans, so the detective tries to track the source of emails. This is where I need guidance.

I know that computer forensics has advanced a lot - but it seems email is a different matter - though there is no software that searches communications for key words and phrases. Incidentally one thing they've introduced in Italy is a rule whereby internet cafe owners are required to name a note of all user IDs and keep a log book of usage.

Any good sources of info you can suggest?

All the best

David"

Any help/pointers gratefully received.

Karn

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!