1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracing internal Gmail email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by asiamartin, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asiamartin

asiamartin Thread Starter

I was trying to find the source or origin of a couple of email sent to me. Normally the IP is in the header, but Gmail does not include the IP in it's internal Gmail to Gmail emails. Is there anyway to get the IP or to trace the source of the email?

Thanks so much,
    Asia

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Open up the email you are questionable about, and click on the down arrow to the right of the Reply button on the email. Near the bottom of the list that drops down should be an option to 'Show Original'. Select that and search in the window/tab that opens up for the first "X-Originating-IP:" (minus the quotes, of course).

If you need a visual aid, check out my last post on this thread (which has a screenshot attached).

3. asiamartin

asiamartin Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. It doesn't show an originationg IP because Gmail doesn't include the IP in gmail to gmail emails... I have n ot idea why.
    I'm going to include a copy of the header so you can see if there is something I missed... it's all jibberish to me, lol!

Removed header for security reasons.....Cookiegal

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

After further testing, it appears that there is no way to track down the account holder of an email from any web-based email clients (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc), as all their traffic truly originates at their mail servers. The only way to track down the true source of an email is if it originated from somewhere that hosts their own email server (i,e, a private business that has an internal mail server).

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

asiamartin,
    I think you should edit your posts before spambots pick up on those email addresses. From Wikipedia:"Email spambots collect e-mail addresses from the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. Because e-mail addresses have a distinctive format, spambots are easy to write."

Richard.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice