1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracing IP addresses

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jerseygirl, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Thread Starter

I have a quick question about tracing where an email was sent from. Is it possible to tell exactly where an email was sent from (one specific location, not a general area)? I know each computer has its own IP address, but does that mean the COMPUTER's address or the CONNECTION's address?

For example, if I take my laptop to CA from NJ, can someone tell the difference in an email sent from there as opposed to one sent from my house?

TIA for any advice here!! :confused:

2. Dave_W

Dave_W

AIUI, the recipient will only be able to see the IP address of the sending mail-server. Switch on the header info in a received email to take a look. (And much of it is spoofable which is why viruses cause so much mayhem).

To trace it you'd have to have access to the sending mailserver's logs to see where it came from - and the detail would depend on what it has been set to log. If you were using a DHCP dial-up, then you'd have another log on another machine to go through. It is common in the UK for a dial-up line's caller-ID to be logged, just in case illegal activities need to be traced.

(In the movies of course all this takes seconds and plots the source on a zoomable map. I don't think so. )

3. jerseygirl

Thanks Dave!

I suppose there are programs/resources available to trace the numbers to specific areas, but it would take some digging anyway.

I appreciate the response, cheers.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did someone send you something questionable?

go to work for nsa, they have the best toys.

5. sponsor

sponsor

or you can hire a hacker (or a cracker if you like)

6. Dave_W

Dave_W

Try http://www.samspade.org/ for tracking down IP addresses.

Try http://www.spamcop.net/ for unravelling spoofed addresses in the header (copy in your email for reporting as spam, switch on technical details and it does all the hard work for you... you can then NOT report it... you might have to register with them though)

7. Chicon

Chicon

8. codecfears

codecfears

That's not always entirely true. Most email headers do show the IP addres of the sending email server, but also the originating IP address (the IP address in use by the sender's computer).

Sometimes this can be entertaining because the headers will show that person's LAN IP and not his WAN IP.

Some traceroute software will show approximately where in the world a given IP block is located. Say your IP address was 192.168.120.14 and your internet provider was FastNotRealISP.com. FastNotRealISP.com owns a chuck of IP addresses that is 'leases' out to it's users. The location of 'your' IP address would likely be the mailing address for FastNotRealISP.com or some address under the control of FastNotRealISP.com -- not your residence.

It's useful insofar as you can know that spammer lives in Southern Utah as opposed to Northern Utah or somesuch.

http://samspade.org provides the address of the IP block owner on IP lookup.

If you want a spiffy graphical windows program try: 3D Traceroute
    http://www.hlembke.de/prod/3dtraceroutepro/

it's "globus trace" feature might interest you

[​IMG]

I hope this helps

9. Dave_W

Dave_W

I've just had a look at a sample - most of the ones I looked at DON'T have the sender's IP, but - you are right, SOME do - seems to depend on the ISP and how they have their systems configured.

So the complete answer is "it depends" ! :)

10. jerseygirl

Wow, this is good stuff. I am going to check out these links ASAP. I REALLY appreciate it, guys!

It's not about spam, actually; I'm trying to catch someone in a lie about where they were when they sent an email.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice