1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracking Computer Time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by UBAGirl, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Is there a way in Windows 7 to track when a computer is turned on and off? A log for the week would be great but I want to see each weekday when the computer is turned on and when it is turned off? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

How about a logged on and logged off script that puts the output to a text file?

3. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

That would be great but I am not computer savy so I don't know how to do that? Is it difficult?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Is it a standalone computer or a computer on a company network? I am assuming a standalone computer.

5. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

We actually have 5 computers on a small network that we would like to track the logged on/off time. Ultimately we would like to have each person print out a log for the week that shows the times that their computer was turned on and off each day of the week. Would that be possible?

6. Rockn

Rockn

If you are trying to use this as a time tracking application there are far better ways to accomplish this.

7. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

What my manager has asked me to do is to figure out how we can tell when an employee turns on his/her computer and turns it off. Some of the employees say they come in early and leave later but we do not have a clock so we thought this was a good way to see when they come in and actually start/stop working and is less intrusive.

8. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

* sorry I meant we don't have a time punch clock

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What if they don't log off?
    Just because they log off of their computer doesn't mean they aren't doing more work. I do plenty of my job on a computer all day but I also have plenty of verification stuff that is done just sitting at my desk.
    I think you are playing with fire if you want to use this as way to verify if your employees are working or not.

10. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

I agree with you and pointed this out but he still wants to proceed this way at first. Since we are going to require printing this log or information each week and submitting with timesheet he is hoping just the fact that they know someone is watching might make a few select sit up and take notice.

So I was just hoping someone might be able to help me figure out an easy way to get this info off each computer for now.

Thanks

11. valis

valis Moderator

you can find the system boot time about a half dozen ways from the command prompt (for remote machines as well) but without checking event logs, it's going to be difficult to get the system off time.

I remember one guy I knew created an excel macro for a stand-alone rig, assigned everyone an ID and had it log when that ID was entered in whatever cell he told them to.....sort of low tech, but it was similar to your situation.

12. Rockn

Rockn

You can create a batch file for logon and logoff events and write them to a text file. Create a directory where you want to store the text file under the C drive. Create two batch files below.

Login.bat
    echo LOG IN %username% COMPUTER: %computername% DATE: %date% TIME: %time% >> C:\foldername\loggedin.txt

Logout.bat
    echo LOG OUT %username% COMPUTER: %computername% DATE: %date% TIME: %time% >> C:\foldername\loggedin.txt

If you are not on a domain use GPEDIT and add the batch filed to the logon/logoff in the user configuration area.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

All the logon/logoff events are recoreded in the Event Viewer.

14. Rockn

Rockn

And they want to be able to print them out in some sort of report.

15. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Wow thanks. Looks so easy but I am just not so computer savy. When I create the bat file do I do this in notepad and save the file with the name Login.bat? And do I copy all of this

Login.bat
    echo LOG IN %username% COMPUTER: %computername% DATE: %date% TIME: %time% >> C:\foldername\loggedin.txt

in the file?

And I am not sure where I type the GPEDIT?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice