1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracking cookie and other spyware question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mklangelo, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I find tracking cookies on my machine all the time. Casalemedia, hitbox and a host of others.

If I quarantine them, will the websites that installed them install another instance of them?

Or will the website see that it is on my machine and leave it alone? I suppose the fact that it's quarantined means that it won't be able to be noticed and will get reinstalled? Correct?

Thanks in advance!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will get reinstalled.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

My browser, "SeaMonkey," allows manually removing cookies AND preventing a deleted cookie from being reinstalled. Check your browser for similar options.

{redoak}

4. Mklangelo

I realize now this should have been posted in the web and email forum.

Each time I scan, it's the same old crap I'm getting rid of.

5. golferbob

golferbob

6. Mklangelo

Hey golferbob,

Thanks for the tip. I've got a multi-layered approach. I have Spyware Blaster, AdAware, SpyBot, AVG antivirus and AVG Anti Spyware.

Those cookies and spyware that show up on my scans are always detected by AVG AntiSpyware. Spybot never finds anything. Spyware Blaster is protecting against a huge list of stuff. Apparently, they don't consider the things I'm finding a big threat, although AVG does consider them "medium" threats.

7. Mklangelo

As far as I have found, Fire Fox will let you decide to remove cookies after a session, when it expires or prompt each time an attempt is made.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

In addition to using FF as mentioned ... I run CCleaner often ..
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/.

If you use Cookies with passwords, you'll need to set up CCleaner to keep these cookies.
    Tracking cookies (data miners) will not hurt you .. but I remove them just on general principals.
    They only collect the browsing habits of your computer .. not your personal info.

I Always run CCleaner before scanning for spyware .. and never find any.
    The theory, as it has been explained to me, cleaning these cookies means that each time I go to the internet,
    I look like a new computer .. and they can't statistically profile that .. (data mining)

9. Mklangelo

We think alike Noyb. I use CCleaner also. I need to dig into the settings and tweak it some more. Although my Hard Drives are getting packed, I'm all about lean and clean. I hate the *******s trying to get in my biz... lol

It's MY internet dammit... :)

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you run CCleaner (and clean cookies) then run a spyware scan and find something ..
    then that's a different story and something that needs looking into.

The cure for the pack rat syndrome .. is to get bigger HDs
    I'm breaking in a new pair of 500 gig SATAs in my external enclosures right now :D

Is this how you have FF set ??

Attached Files:

11. Mklangelo

Now I do.

I just haven't discovered what my fav sites are and what cookies they put on my machine.

And yes... I do so need an MAJOR upgrade. SATA and all of it. The reason I'm so concerned with all this is I'm limping along with a 5 year old system and really need to maximize space. Soon...soon.

I've maxed out this mobo.

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!