1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracking days off with an Excel workbook?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DyNasty1965, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DyNasty1965

DyNasty1965 Thread Starter

This may be too simple for some but I have a difficult task ahead of me. For some dumb reason our company refuses to let certain individuals use the database information of our time sheet software. Well this makes scheduling time off a nightmare. Hopefully there is someone who uses or can recommend a spreadsheet format (excel??) that can keep track of scheduled days off. And those days already used. We have several different types of payed time off kept in different types of banks and employees have to schedule way in advance and sometimes use one bank up and schedule another day off from that bank but end up redoing the request because they don't have time in that bank and have to reschedule. Creates a lot of paperwork and time adjusting. Example... most get 80 hours of vacations, 32 hours of what we call eat days (no lunch paid so we get 4 days off - eat days), 80 hours of Holidays. Those are fixed banks for the calendar year and then we have a COMP bank used where they can acquire hours from overtime or extra hours worked training which are based on using during an employee's anniversary year. Then we have a Holiday Bank which is never ending (no end date to be used by - no anniversary/year date) can be added to by 4 hour increments if you work a holiday. All of these hours are paid at the same wage. It really doesn't matter how you use the hours but they have to be approved prior to taking off depending on scheduling needs. What I would like is some sort of spreadsheet to keep track of all employees on my shift to see how this works before recommending it department wide. It would be nice to have all shift employees on one sheet but able to click on employee name and open another sheet where impute adjustments can be made. To me this seems mindbogglingly but I'm sure there have got to be other peoples with the same problems. Our current software can do what's scheduled for rest of year from todays date but not what has already been used prior to date. So if Joe Schmuckatelli used 4 vacation days already this year and now schedules another 7 days the operator approving the time off has no idea he has used 4 days and grants the 7 more days before realizing he has overdrawn his bank by 1 day (cuz Joe only gets 10 days/year) and is trying to get 11. Allot of mistakes are just oopses but serious violations have occurred and not realized until end of year. And to make matter worse... to different start/end time periods for the banks. Sorry so long but tried to answer as many possible questions you could throw at me ahead of time.
    PLEASE could someone help get me started in right direction.
    -THANKS in advance.

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> PLEASE could someone help get me started in right direction

It was good that you provided a lot of info. (y)

>> serious violations have occurred ...
    >> ... the operator approving the time off has no idea ...
    >> ... company refuses to let certain individuals use the d-base info

There's your problem, somewhere within those 3. The bottom line is a fundamentally flawed process will lead to errors.

Excel could probably do something (file on a network drive for operators to access, but with restricted info on sheet(s) VeryHidden by VBA with the project password-protected. But since

>> employees have to schedule way in advance

, then someone with full access should have plenty of time to check before errors occur.

:confused:,
    Andy

3. DyNasty1965

I'm curious if anyone can recommend a spreadsheet format.... I have no idea where to start.

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi, I wasn't trying to be awkward for the sake of it ; sometimes you just have to answer questions with "it's not a good idea, period". But since you insist, I'll pick out one bit ...

>> It would be nice to have all shift employees on one sheet
    >> but able to click on employee name and open another sheet
    >> where impute adjustments can be made.

Let's say you have 4 sheets ; "All Staff", "Early", "Late", "Night". For any cell in column A on "All Staff" (which contains the names of all employees), you can Insert -- Hyperlink (to another "place in this document", ie: any cell on any sheet). But whether this is practical or not I can't tell, you don't say if there's 5 employees or 5 thousand. Nor whether "open" means "go to" or "unhide if the person clicking has the necessary clearance".

Rgds,
    Andy

5. DyNasty1965

I think I understand. I wasn't sure if it was necessary to create other sheets or not. I just thought it might be nice for the supervisor to be able to have an employee on a seperate sheet if the employee ask for what has been schediled/used already.

Right now the spreadsheet would be for about 15 employees, if it works well it could go to about 100 employees. I just wonder if I'm trying to dazzle them with brillance or baffle them with bullsh*t. Maybe I'm thinking to hard into this.

6. DyNasty1965

One other quick question...
    I took an excel class and was shown how to change sheet page tab colors but can't seem to do it at home. I used a more recent version of excel at training and have Excel 2000 at home. Is that why? I want each sheet tab to have a different color. Can I change the tab color with Excel 2000?

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> Can I change the tab color with Excel 2000?

No ; this "feature" was introduced in Excel XP (2002).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice