1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracking down crashes in XP...?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sp113, Jan 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. sp113

sp113 Thread Starter

Hello All!

Yes, I am still using Windows XP.

I have been having some crashes that I can't seem to figure out the cause/solution. I would love to track down why it is crashing, so I can prevent it, or do a fix to make the computer usable again.

Here are the characteristics...

-) Only happens on browsing. It happens no matter which browser I use Firefox, Chrome or Opera. Suddenly in the middle of browsing...CRASH! Reboot. (No blue screen.)

I have done the following:

1.) Run checkdisk, defrag & disk cleanup.
    2.) Run Windows Defender, AVG, Panda, MalwareBytes, CClean.
    3.) Check the "WhoCrashed" log...although the last entry is 12/30...and it's crashed on me numerous times since then.
    4.) turned off all browser plugins. Turned off Java, etc.

I guess I am looking for a log for the crashes that would indicate where/why/when the crash got ignited.

I am open to any/all ideas.

Thanks!

D

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. sp113

sp113 Thread Starter

4. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

I am still using XP also (we are such die-hards :)). You can go to the system event log to look for issues: control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer. But I'm not sure how helpful this will be.

I've had unresponsive script warnings and freezing issues with browsers too, especially in Firefox which is my default browser. I found that starting it in safe mode helps a lot, probably indicating some incompatibilities involving add-ons and/or plug-ins. You can start Firefox in safe mode from a command prompt by typing "Firefox -safe-mode" with a space between Firefox and the dash. You could also try starting your computer in safe mode and using your browser as usual to see if that helps. There is also using the system configuration utility to manually troubleshoot software conflicts, but since your problem happens during browsing, I would start by starting your browser in safe mode. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice