Tracking My Internet Usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcoliver88

Hi Guys

Need some help. Basically I have had a lodger in my house for several months now, who is using the internet which is in my name. I believe that he might be downloading illegally through torrents or what not. I have asked him if he is and he said he is not. Due to my Job, its vital that i do not get into trouble, and if he is doing it then i will be liable.

Is there any software that i can use to monitor the internet usage from his laptop. I don't want to install anything on his laptop, something that i can use on mine to monitor the data running through my router

Any help will be great

Thank you

Couriant

James
ETech7 - If the torrents are copyrighted games/programs/movies/etc, then they are illegal. We do not support anyone knowningly using torrents for copyrighted material.

The Rules said:
P2P and File Sharing - We do not support P2P file sharing applications or web sites where the aim or much of the content is illegally shared copyrighted music, videos, or other files. This includes torrents, Kazaa, LimeWire, RapidShare, Pirate Bay, and the like. Any threads requesting help for such will be closed. Obviously, this does not include legitimate sites like YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo, Metacafe, etc, that have a strong content policing policy. If you're interested in the topic of P2P, you are free to discuss it on our site, but information on how to use these services will not be provided.
If you feel you need to discuss it, create a thread in the Random Discussion forums, otherwise please do not post anything that negates our rules.

mcoliver88 - why do you suspect the person is using torrents? Are you seeing a lot of data usage? Also what router do you have? Your router may have the ability to compile a log.

Also make sure you don't have any open/unsecured networks - if they are open someone may be using your services without permission.

valis

ETech:

Remember, this is a private site. The owner does not allow torrenting, as Couriant has stated. And you may want to pay attention to the last sentence:

If you're interested in the topic of P2P, you are free to discuss it on our site, but information on how to use these services will not be provided.

TerryNet

Terry
Hey, guys, let's drop the (needless) discussion of torrents. mcoliver88 is concerned about illegal downloading on his network and just mentioned torrents as a possible vehicle that his tenant may be using.

valis

Hey, guys, let's drop the (needless) discussion of torrents. mcoliver88 is concerned about illegal downloading on his network and just mentioned torrents as a possible vehicle that his tenant may be using.
what he said. :)

OK, I think I need to apologies for my bad English, since I don't see any possible explanations for all those comments following my humble note on Presumption of innocence. I don't see where in my posts I provided or asked for support on any illegal activities (or even considered illegal on this website) - for anybody paying a little attention it should be clear enough.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
OK, I think I need to apologies for my bad English, since I don't see any possible explanations for all those comments following my humble note on Presumption of innocence. I don't see where in my posts I provided or asked for support on any illegal activities (or even considered illegal on this website) - for anybody paying a little attention it should be clear enough.

Stop posting to this thread, you will not be warned again. None of your posts are helpful and you not adding anything of use to this thread.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Hi Guys

Need some help. Basically I have had a lodger in my house for several months now, who is using the internet which is in my name. I believe that he might be downloading illegally through torrents or what not. I have asked him if he is and he said he is not. Due to my Job, its vital that i do not get into trouble, and if he is doing it then i will be liable.

Is there any software that i can use to monitor the internet usage from his laptop. I don't want to install anything on his laptop, something that i can use on mine to monitor the data running through my router

Any help will be great

Thank you

To the original poster. Your router may have some built in monitoring that shows how much traffic is coming from his laptop. Your ISP may also have a usage meter that shows the daily or monthly internet usage. If it's a lot of traffic there may be cause for concern but even with little traffic there may be potentially illegal activities going on. However I'm not sure you are legally allowed to monitor what websites he is going too as that may be a privacy violation. You can possibly block access to certain websites using your router, a higher end router/firewall or through a service such as OpenDNS filtering: http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls

mcoliver88

Hi Thanks for your replies. Currently I am on Sky unlimited package and unfortunately have their poor of excuse of a router. Which i am sure it cant be changed to the other router i own. I know there is no log or anything that i can view. If Sky allowed us to use our own hardware it would be much easier and may not be an issue. I have good evidence to suggest its illegal torrents being downloaded, which is why its a major issue that i need to sort. Unfortunately i cant use opendns on my router, and im not sure what sites i would need to block.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
What options does the Shy Hub router give when you do log into it?

If you have evidence that he is doing illegal activities, whatever they may be, then you should cut him off and have him get his own internet.

Did you try to talk to the guy?
Don't bother with opendns and other services like that.
If you are really paranoid about torrents, you'll need a hardware firewall, as was mentioned in the post #2. You can still setup one even if your router is provided by your ISP.

I don't know what kind of evidence do you have, but if that's some kind of perv there you probably should do something more than just restricting him from Internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online