Tracking My Internet Usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To add something more to this. ETech7 is halfway right about needing a hardware firewall. Yes, you do need a firewall, but more specifically, you need one that can do deep packet inspection. A DPI firewall will be able to look into the packet payload in the network traffic and determine based on the packet information what type of traffic it is and apply rules to it. Most firewalls out there are stateful packet inspection firewalls which do NOT have this capability.

The alternative is to utilize a content filtering system like Websense which you can create a list of approved websites this person can access.

Both of these methods are what is being used in corporations and government agencies.

As was mentioned here before, there might be some legal issues regarding packet sniffing and analyzing. So I was suggesting to get a firewall firstly to be able to precisely control services and bandwidth that roommate gets. The owner claims he has some evidence already and he wants to prevent illegal activity that may have been taking place.

To analyze packets (at least at home setting) we don't even need a firewall, just a software and maybe a handmade dongle.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't see any legal issues. The service is under the OPs name and he is providing it as a courtesy to this tenant. To clear things up, the OP may just make it clear to the tenant that anything he does on his network is subject to monitoring and acceptable use. Many public hotspots have these policies which you agree to when you use their networks.

To expect any home user to sit down and go through all the network traffic from a packet sniffer is just unrealistic. Even companies with money and trained resources don't do this most of the time. You want a device which allows you to just set rules for traffic you allow or disallow and then walk away. When the device flags any violation it just notifies the appropriate people through alerting where a deeper investigation is done.

Personally, if the OP is that afraid of what this tenant is doing and if I were him, I would just pull the plug and tell the tenant to get their own service. Much easier and there isn't this whole what if scenario.

Not a lawyer, but I don't know if renting a room to someone entitles you to monitor their communications.

He is not dealing with the amount of traffic companies deal with. Don't need to go through all of it, just setup filters to get what you are looking for and monitor at peak hours. At least it's free (or cheap).

But, as mentioned, there probably are simpler way to solve that particular issue.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If they're using internet service you provide them registered under your name, it does. More so if you put them on notice their use is being monitored.

Even a small home network generates a ton of traffic. Expecting any home user to be able to set up a packet sniffer, know what type of traffic to look for, and then determine whether what they're seeing is actionable is just living in a fantasy world. If the OP posessed these skills, he/she wouldn't be asking for help on this forum.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Seriously?

Are you just talking to just hear yourself talk or to inflate your post count?

Have you ever set up a SonicWall device? It's one of the most easiest devices to setup compared to other firewalls out there. There are some conceptual topics which a user needs to understand before being able to properly configure a feature on a SonicWall. It all boils down to RTM. SonicWall's documentation is among the best I've seen out there. And if someone is comfortable navigating through a Netgear, Linksys, DLink, what have you GUI, then this person shouldn't have any issue with configuring a SonicWall.

If one is asking for enterprise features in an easy to use package, it comes at a cost. Along with the cost is support which many of the open source, do everything free crowd often overlooks.

Couriant

James
zx10guy, the problem the OP will have is that they have a router/modem combination. If they are are wireless a firewall be a moot point.

The ISP should be able to determine at least the bandwidth usage on the upstream.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
zx10guy, the problem the OP will have is that they have a router/modem combination. If they are are wireless a firewall be a moot point.
How so? Most ISP provided modem/router combos can be replaced with a end user device if they choose and request too, or at least be dumb down to a basic modem or at least the wireless turn off and even if not, you can still add a secondary device after it and have the user connect to it and filtering done there.

Also ETech7 won't be bothering us for a while due to his inappropriate remarks and rude behavior.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How so? Most ISP provided modem/router combos can be replaced with a end user device if they choose and request too, or at least be dumb down to a basic modem or at least the wireless turn off and even if not, you can still add a secondary device after it and have the user connect to it and filtering done there.
My thoughts exactly.

Couriant

James
For someone a little more advanced maybe. ;) generally most average people will go with what the ISP offers, which is a combo modem/router. Unless the OP specifcially says otherwise, I would assume that.

Hi Thanks for your replies. Currently I am on Sky unlimited package and unfortunately have their poor of excuse of a router. Which i am sure it cant be changed to the other router i own.
From this statement, this to me indicates that he currently using the combination router/modem. :D

To mcoliver88 - since you have your own router you should check with Sky if they can give you a plain modem, or at least set the modem you have now as a bridged modem so you can use your router. You should have more control then, or at least add a seperate firewall/device to monitor the bandwidth.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online