1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tracking .ocx and .dlls

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by crispy, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

As my previous query didn't come up with any suggestions for tracking installations (see http://forums.techguy.org/t118406/s.html ) I thought I'd make a copy of all existing files on my system, before installing the suspect package.

I was amazed by how many duplicates exist and by how much they differ both in size and creation date, sometimes by up to five years difference in creation dates.

Obviously they reside in different folders, but it seems crazy that this situation is allowed to happen. Any ideas guys?

Chris P

2. IMM

IMM

Just had a look at the other post you made, and one option is to use InCtrl5 (a pcmag utility that's quite good if you learn how to use it and save the reports in an orderly fashion etc.)
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,25214,00.asp

Regarding your current question - you might look at something like the Dll hell articles that M$ was putting out sample code about a while back. There are utilities to find duplicates as well - and there are utilities (I think) to maintain a database of files on the system with a CRC or MD5 sig attached (wrote my own so I have no recoomendation there)

You're right - it's nuts :)

3. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks for your post IMM, that looks just what I'm looking for. I've just downloaded it and will try to make it work for me :D

I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best
    Chris P

4. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

That seemed to work a treat, it seems to do the same as the program I had thought about buying :D

I used it to install a video edit package that I've been looking at. I couldn't believe the number of changes and additions made:

51 files added and 34 changed
    430 registry keys added and 90 changed
    425 values added and 13 deleted
    188 keys deleted :eek:

Back in my days of programming, it was more like 30 files and a registry key or two. Thanks again for the program link.

Chris P

5. IMM

IMM

What I like to do with it is create a directory (something like f:\InstallTracks) and use it as a base directory to save all the install reports in subirectories of it (modify the save location within the InCtrl program). Then as you run it add a subdirectory with a descriptive name for each program tracked as you go, and save the install file(s) there (I like text format but it's up to you). I may make several reports in the same directory for one program (eg. install.txt, reboot.txt and first_run.txt)

You can also change the .ini files which the program tracks as well.

One thing about tracking suspicious programs is that you're never really sure they are done. Sometimes they will continue to write the registry etc. on the next reboot - or on the first time they are run etc.

The program can be used manually as well. If you run it w/o supplying an install package (just a report name) - then it will take the snapshot and terminate. The next time you run it you have the option of completing the "install report". There is also no reason you can't run it to fire up a program which is not an install.

Unfortunately - most people find it tedious and don't bother :eek:

You mention programming - did the download come with the source? (used to have a zip in it - Delphi if I recall)

6. IMM

IMM

7. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks again, I'll watch out for that.

Yes it did come complete with code. Unfortunately my brain can't cope with lines of code these days, or much else come to that :confused:

All the best,
    Chris P

8. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

9. IMM

IMM

10. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks again IMM.

Together with a few other thread responses today, I can see I shall have a very busy Monday :)

Chris

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice