1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trading hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lastrachris, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

One of my friend's whats to exchange computer with me, but I don't want to have to reformat their disk or frankly, don't want them to do that to mine. I tried just punching in the hard drives and it would get to the typical boot screen and then reboot for some reason. I have linux on my drive along with windows. When I tried it on Windows, the same thing occurred on my hard drive. Then I booted Linux, and it worked just dandy. I'm guessing it is a bit problem. I think my friend has a X64 computer and I have a X32. Can I change this without a reformat?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2021 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 143064 MB, Free - 40310 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG965OT, AAD75595-201, BQOT7020089R
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

as soon as I can access the other computer I will post it's specs. Thanks for the help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, read the sticky at the top of the page regarding swapping mb without a reinstall.

Next issue. If either of these systems are a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, you cannot move the os to another system. OEM type windows lives and dies with the original hardware.

In short to do what you want, CAN be done however it involves a series of tasks before swapping the drives.

IMO you are asking for problems attempting this. Either clean install windows OR just leave it alone.

3. lastrachris

Well, great. It really isn't worth this much struggle. I'll man it up until I can get either some new parts or enough money to buy a new computer. Right now I have 2GB or RAM. If I was to upgrade that, to say four, would the same issue occur?

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Actually if one of the machines is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit, then if the 64 bit machine is natively running a 64 bit OS, the swap CAN'T be done; the 64 bit OS won't run on the 32 bit system. Period, end of story.

5. lastrachris

Okay, it comes to be that the computers are both 32 bit. Everything is identical but the hard drive space and the mother board, etc.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice