Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traffic generator

3K views 42 replies 2 participants last post by  bigbobby007 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good (free) traffic generator to test and beef up my web server. I would love it to be able to fire simultaneous HTTP connections to many URLs at ones, and preferably be able to save that config, so I didn't have to set it up each time.

It would also be beneficial to have it be able to emulate TCP. UDP and ICMP training in the same way.

Any ideas of anything that does this? I've tried the Nsasoft stuff, but it doesn't allow me to save config, plus it's 2 separate interfaces, and I can only enter URL per instance.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Rob.

#6 ·
Okay but would these servers be able to accept the udp / tcp connection ?

And that depends on yet another question :) With all the windows the same size do you want them to be tiled so they dont overlap or do you want them cascaded?

#8 ·
Now thats were it becomes hard. With certain numbers making all of the windows the same size and making sure the dont overlap is impossible, take five for example. This is possible if one of the windows size gets changed from the rest. The only way around this i can think of is to reduce thier sizes collectivly, so they fit into a smaller area on the screen,so instead of taking up 1024 by 768, they fit a smaller portion of the screen like 780,400 for example. By order do you mean which window is created first?

#9 ·
I see your point. I think 99.9% of the time the max number will be 4 windows, so stick with 4...

By order I mean that the 4 windows will usually be 2 pairs or 2, e.g. Windows 1 and 2 are a pair, and 3 and 4 are a pair... it would be good for 1 and 2 to be the top two windows, and 3 and 4 to be the bottom two. Mind you, if that just means I need to type the paths in a certain order into the code, I can live with that big style, as long as it can remember those until edited or changed to different paths...

#14 ·
Heres what im thinking,

1) You enter a host name
2) If its not a ip adress it will be converted into one
3) The program will try to connect to the server on many ports in udp / tcp, several times by multithreading
4) It will use the url to request a page from the server, many times if needed, using mulyi threading

Does that sound okay?

#15 ·
I'll basically be having a test machine in the middle that's able to monitor and report on how many TCP packets, UDP packets, ICMP packets and URL requests are sent to the server in a given time period. Take a look at these...

http://www.nsauditor.com/network_tools/network_traffic_generator.html

http://www.nsauditor.com/web_tools_utilities/http_traffic_generator.html

something like these, but all in one screen, more controllable, that remembers it's settings next time and can have mulitple URLs in, not just one per instanace of teh emulator...

#17 ·
and expand them a bit... hehe...

I'm spreading in to E-mail and VoIP too. I have ve a separate e-mail generator too, which allows to you generate mail to a server, specifying to addresses, from address, attachments, % if mails to put the attachment on, subject and body... is there any chance you could add this functionality, or similar?

As for VoIP, is there any easy way of simulating/emulator VoIP traffic? if so, can this in in too?

Am I being greedy now? Fancy going into business? Haha.

#19 ·
While you're on a role, if I could put in an FTP address to download a file from my web/ftp server at the same time, that would be great! So I could have all these firing at the same time in one interface? Anything else good you can think of?

The usual timeframes... asap, ha. However, I'm understanding you're not exactly an employee with targets, hehe. I've been searching for things today as I could realistically do with beginning to use them end of this week, beginning of next, but I've no idea how long it would take you to make. What do you think?

#23 ·
Heres what i have so far. The program connects to a specified host at a certain port and sends the text "Test Packet" a user defined number of times. This is all done by an external text file. Now here come the questions :) Will a program on the server accept the request? Because you cannot send a packet if theres nothing to send to. Also is this what you wanted for the tcp / udp part of it? What is the mail servers details, like is it stmp or something else? Also i dont know of any ftp sites to test so would it be possible to have the address? And i have no idea about voip at the moment

#24 ·
Sounds good. The server should be able to accept everything. It's a DC, AD, Web Server, Mail Server, FTP Server...etc. And kettle, ha. The FTP isn't really important at this time, just the other things. And no worries about the FTP! How about the multiple URL requests? The server will be a proxy too, so can proxy requests for external site. SO I hope to be able to type in e.g. Site = www.bbc.co.uk, number of hits = 20, Interval = 100ms...etc.

How's this sound?

#26 ·
No, not a specification, ha. As long as I can type in Urls from the client machine (in your programme) to visit on the web, I can replicate load... The final name structure hasn't been finalised yet, so it is possible for me to just point the SMTP port 25 mails at an IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.