1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer Content One Dish Hopper to Another ???

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by BearKiller, Jun 5, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have worn out my eyes reading Google search results and Dish "support" topics, all a complete waste of time.

I had joined a Dish support forum some weeks ago; I just did try to access it and Chrome stopped me with a warning that the site had been hijacked and I should not proceed --- I didn't.

The Dish guy said with a 100% full Hopper,that it should take about a day to transfer all my recordings; our old Hopper has been hovering around 98% to 100% for the last few weeks.

I followed the instructions Dish provided, connected our old Hopper 2000 via Ethernet cable to the replacement Hopper with Sling, and started the transfer procedure about 2:AM this morning.

I peeked at the progress at 9:AM and the target Hopper showed 7%
    I checked again around 5 AM and it only showed 16%
    I checked again at 12:30 PM --- 32 minutes ago, and it still only showed 16%
    Browsing through the transferred content looks pretty much the same as it did when I looked at 5 AM

The little Ethernet activity light on the source Hopper has been winking rapidly ever since this process started, as if something is happening.

Is my experience typical or is the process stuck ?

How much longer should this take ? At the rate it is going, it could take several days.

2. BearKiller

Well, it has now been another twelve hours and progress is at 30%; typical for most of my other Dish experiences.

When I activated the new-to-me Hopper, the instructions and the representative I talked to said that during the activation/update process, all my settings, preferences, and most importantly --- my timers, would automatically appear in the new machine; that has not happened either...

3. BearKiller

I will update this for the benefit of anyone who may read this as a result of trying to find answers.
    This is now Day 7 and the DVR content is still transferring.
    In a 24-hour period, it is now only gaining from 2- to 5%
    There are still some 83 recordings still to be transferred.
    This is a far cry from the "about a day" that the Dish representative claimed.
    I finally did figure out how to see the remaining content of the source Hopper.
    Good concrete information about anything I have needed to know about Dish related info is illusive at best.

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there! How is the progress on the download? I am not familiar with the operating systems on the hoppers, so I don't know what the typical download rate should be.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice