1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer data from desktop hard drive to laptop without wipe

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JamesyDodgers, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesyDodgers

JamesyDodgers Thread Starter

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex with Windows 7 a few years ago, not a brilliant PC but it was cheap and did the job for me. I used my own TV as the monitor so it was connected via VGA.

One day when I turned it on it made a series of beeps which at the time I didn’t panic about. So I turned the power off and back on and this time it started up as normal.

Later in the day I had left for a short while but when I came back the TV’s sleep mode had kicked in and I couldn't get the computer display back on at all. So I turned it off at the power again and back on and this time it made the series of beeps again (6 in a row I believe) and it did this every time I tried powering off and on again.

I looked it up online and found that the number of beeps was a code and 6 beeps was something to do with the video card/display I think so the main suggestion was checking for dust which I did.

I also then replaced the VGA cable but got the same issue.

Knowing it wasn’t the TV/Monitor I thought I’ll try replacing it anyway to be sure, we have another TV exact same model in the house so tried it with both the VGA cables but same again.

A colleague in work recommended a product to me ‘Asus GeForce 210 Nvidia Graphics Card (1GB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, DisplayPort, DirectX 11.0, OpenGL 4.2, Dust-Proof Fan)' this had a VGA and HDMI port on it so I tried both of these but still the same.

Somewhere along the line as well the computer no longer beeps when it turns on, it acts like it is starting up as normal but just with no display. I've also noticed the keyboard and mouse seem unresponsive.

At the moment I think it’s probably just done, maybe I can go to a repair shop but honestly it wasn't much to buy and I don’t want to spend unnecessary money on it but the problem now is the files on the hard drives. I usually keep a backup on an external drive but this was also damaged prior to this too so my desktop was my only copy at the time as I was waiting to get another external hard drive. (wasn't my month just)

I’ve since bought a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 so looked into ways to get the files from my desktop hard drive transferred to this. Looking up online I found a Startech USB 3.0 to 2.5 inch SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable with UASP that was supposed to just act as though connecting a USB device but didn't, after checking further I found it might not be compatible to the hard drive. So then after more research I found a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SSHD) this one was said to be more compatible but neither of these seem to work without formatting the hard drives.

I'm wondering if there is any other way I can get the files off the hard drives without wiping them or if not, any other (inexpensive) ways to repair the desktop?

I also have an old Acer laptop with Windows 7 if that makes a difference, also tried connecting the hard drives to it with the two above mentioned adapters/cables but it didn't work on this either.

Thanks,

James.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm wondering if the USB Powered adapter for 2.5" laptop drives doesn't have enough power to run a desktop HDD.
    Maybe you need an adapter like This with it's own external power supply to run the desktop HDD.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Noyb is correct. A simple USB adapter does not provide enough power to run a 3.5" drive. You'll have to provide a different powersource. Some adapters come with it some don't. Can you use the power supply from the desktop to provide the necessary power?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice