1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer data from Hard Drive to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wolfen013, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfen013

wolfen013 Thread Starter

I had this idea, see if anybody has an opinion about this. My wife has an old XP computer I want to buy her a new one but she doesn't like the vista and she wants to keep the old xp operating system. What I want to do is take the old hard drive and put it in the new computer as the master and take the new hard drive and put it in as the slave erasing the vista off it. Then using the master slave way can I transfer the xp operating system and all her files and data from the old hard drive to the new one.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

You cannot simply put the hard drive with XP on it in the new system to have the new system running XP either from the old drive or by transferring to the new drive. It just does not work like that
    You need to install XP a fresh on the new system AND you will need a new XP license to do so.

3. wolfen013

wolfen013 Thread Starter

Then how do they do it when you buy a new Hard drive that doesn't have any thing on it and they put your System, your Data, everything from your old hard drive onto the new hard drive?

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Putting your own personal data on a new system is no trouble but that is not what you asked, you asked if you could copy the XP installation in it's entirety from one drive to another in a new system, or use XP from the original drive in new system, which is not the same and is not possible.

Cloning from one hard drive to another hard drive to be used in the SAME system can be done though, but you are not going to be using the same system are you.

If you want XP on the new system then you are going to have to purchase XP complete with a new license, once XP is installed you can then go aboutgetting any personal files and settings from the old PC and transfering to the new. This process can be achieved using XP's File and Settings Transfer wizard aka FAST
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice