Transfer Data Old Computer to New

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kenmist

Hey!
Hope every ones having a good day! Need some advice. Have a Dynex Easy Transfer Cable for connecting the two computers via USB cable. Did not have any success using the software supplied with the cables. Wondering if I can use my back up data from an external drive to restore my backed up data from the old computer to the new one? Both computers are running Win XP Home. The new system has a different MB and is really just an upgrade of the old one.
Willing to try anything which will help me get my new computer running the programs from the "old" one.
kenmist

Welcome to TSG!
What I have done when I got a new computer, is I put everything I wanted to keep on a flash drive the from the flash drive to the new computer.
Don't know how most people do it, but that worked for me.
VIcks

The programs will have to be re-installed from their original installation source. You can't just copy the programs back, unless it's a very simple program. A program may make dozens, if not hundreds, of registry entries, as well as installing files into several system folders

kenmist

I have already partitioned the new HD to correspond with the old HD by putting in the folders where the data needs to be copied. Can I just plug in my external hard drive with the back up data to my new system and do a "restore"?
kenmist

Depends on what the backup is.

If the backup includes the old OS, then no, that would replace your current OS with the old. Since the motherboard is different, it might not boot. You would need to open the backup and restore only your data files.

If the backup is data only, then yes

kenmist

Thanks for your input...but I'm not sure that the old OS is that different from the new OS? When I had the upgrade built, I asked for the same OS..Win XP Home. They told me it would be Windows 7 and I wasn't too happy about that. They said Win XP Home was no longer available, but could install Win XP Professional and then contact Microsoft for a "key" which would allow them to downgrade the Pro version to the Home version. I think both the old OS and the new OS are the same? Would I still have a problem?
kenmist

Even with the same OS, different hardware requires different drivers, and you said the new PC has a different MB. If the hardware is too different, the system won't even boot if you restore an OS that was installed on a different system. If this new PC came with Win 7, then the hardware is probably quite different.

Plus, if the XP Home version you have backed up was preinstalled on the old computer, you can not legally transfer it to a different PC.

Did they install Win 7 or Xp Pro? Right click My Computer, click Properties, that will show what OS is installed.
How did you downgrade to XP Home?
You can't downgrade XP Pro to Home by changing the key, you would have to delete XP Pro, and re-install XP Home.

What program did you use to make your backups? Most will allow you to browse the backed up files, so you can copy your data files (documents, pictures, music, videos) to whatever location you choose.

kenmist

Appreciate your interest and comments...
I was told that they downloaded Win XP Professional and then contacted Microsoft for a "key" which then allowed them to downgrade the system to Win XP Home? When my screen saver comes on the new computer it shows Win XP Professional, so maybe they were just "blowing smoke" to keep the customer happy? I think you're right about the different MB's, but I only want the data files for my applications....and OE data..addresses,,etc. Back ups were all from old system Win XP Home and are on an external drive.
kenmist

Right click My Computer, click Properties, that will show what OS is installed.
What program did you use to make your backups?
XP Home doesn't come with a backup program, though NTBackup can be installed from the CD. THe OEM may have provided one.

This article should be useful:
How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
You need to make sure the OE Data files were actually backed up. They can be restored to a temp folder, then imported into OE on the new system. You should be able to import from the .wab file; if not, you may have to fire up the old system to export the address book.
If OE is set to automatically check mail when started on the old system, you'll want to disconnect from the Internet so it doesn't download email when it's started.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts