1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfer data to new laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jayeliot, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jayeliot

jayeliot Thread Starter

Just got my second laptop (Vista O/S). I wish to transfer years of stuff from old laptop (XP) to new one.

Doing this wirelessly through wireless router is taking forever. Did a little research on cross over cable. Would this make things go faster .... I assume so.

But another thought, suppose I hooked up both to ports on my wireless router ? Would the new laptop see the old and if so would transfering go faster ?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using ethernet on both laptops will give you superior speed to Wi-Fi (unless a NIC is so old it is only 10 Mbps). There should be no measurable difference between using a crossover cable and connecting both computers to the router. Turn off the wireless on both laptops during the transfers to make sure there is no confusion.

3. jayeliot

jayeliot Thread Starter

TerryNet,

So I should connect both to the ports on my router and turn off the wireless. After doing so, will I simply be able to use Windows Explorer to see the other laptop or is there another step involved, like setting the properties ot the folders to be transferred ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whatever works now on your LAN (home network) should work exactly the same (except for speed) regardless of how the computer(s) connect to the router.

Since you initially indicated that file sharing is working for you, the only difference you should see is a speed improvement. Nothing more needed.

Now, realize that's no guarantee that you don't have a bad NIC or a defective cable. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!