1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfer files from external harddrive to laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hellooutthere, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hellooutthere

hellooutthere Thread Starter

I have my files backup on external hard drive. I need to transfer two of them to lap top both systems are Windows 7. How do I copy from external hard drive to laptop to get the data to the right program files on laptop. I have already installed the programs on the laptop. Thank you.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How did you copy them to the external drive?

3. hellooutthere

I used the back up function.

4. hellooutthere

backed up from lap top to external hard drive

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The built in "Backup" program is not really designed to do what you are wanting to do.

The simplest, is to just copy the needed files to a folder on the external drive, and then move the drive to the other machine and then copy the files from the external drive to the folder that you want them to be in.

The problem with using any "Backup" program, they are compressed into a single file and then they must be expanded to the new location. All of the back up programs require that the same program be also installed on the new machine.

With the MS Backup that comes with the OS, may not be able to extract the files from another machine unless that backup programs are of the same version.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice